--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "feste37" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I wonder about this "meaningless sounds" business. At the
preparatory
> lecture, I always used to say the mantras were "sounds the effects
of which
> are known," or "words selected for their sound quality,"  or
something like that.
> I never said, "meaningless sounds" and I wonder whether using that
phrase
> was ever an official instruction. It's a very unfortunate phrase,
in my opinion.

During the proper practice of TM, the mantras are indeed meaningless
sounds (TM properly practiced has nothing to with any meaning one
might assign to the mantras, but to their use as a vehicle of
attention, a sound resonating with the mind in a way that leads to
transcendence). Outside of the practice of TM, if Hindus want to
assign meanings to the sounds, that has nothing to do with the
practice of TM.