--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "markmeredith2002"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [...]
methodology.  But

> > > They did, by "predicting" what the crime rate *would* have
> > > been for that period that year on the basis of the previous
> > > five-year trend.  It's true that there might have been
> > > *somewhat* less of a reduction if the crime rate had started
> > > going down in early 1993, but you would have no reason to
> > > see the sharp, sudden drop they measured during the project
> > > on the basis of the decline you're talking about (much less
> > > the return to "normal" a few weeks after the study).
>
> The 5 yr trend is meaningless - the trend for violent crime was
> significantly up during the 80s and then it unexpectedly and
> dramatically turned down in the 90s, then flattened out near the end
> of that decade.  All sorts of studies came out in the 90s supposedly
> proving that this or that particular program was reducing crime in
> this or that city, but in retrospect we now know that crime was
> going down in all large cities, even ones not doing this or that.

Wow.  You're still not getting it, and I'm not sure
how to clear it up for you.  Maybe you could just try
reading what I wrote above a little more carefully.
Everything you just said is utterly irrelevant in the
case of this study.

If the crime rate were trending down over those five
years, or just the last two of those years, it would
be reflected in the "prediction" of what the crime
rate *would have been* if the project hadn't been
conducted during those eight weeks.

I could draw you a picture... Imagine a black line
descending from left to right, at the rate that
crime was declining since, say, 1991 or '92, whenever
the decline started.  The last segment of that line
represents the duration of the eight-week project
(actually let's say 12 weeks to include the post-
project period).  The black line shows what the crime
rate would have been expected to be had there been no
project; it continues the decline that you've been
talking about.

Now imagine a red line superimposed over that segment
representing the *actual* crime rate for that period.
It dips down sharply *below* the black line starting
at the beginning of the 12-week period, then comes
back up again to meet the black line at the end of it.

Of course, you can't be *sure* about the black segment;
it's an extrapolation from the previous trend.  But
you certainly wouldn't expect that it would take that
sharp dip just for the 12-week period.

> I'm saying the study design needs to be revisited due to what we now
> know about the unique crime trends in the 90s.

Nope, not for an eight-week World Peace Assembly.

  As far as the sharp
> dramatic drops and returns to normal, I want to see the actual data
> before trusting these describtors of it.

Now, *that's* entirely reasonable.  (The data itself is
public; what you want to see is how they set up the time-
series analysis and what the results were.)

> OF course, akasha is right that even if the statistics hold, you
> still need more studies looking at it from different angles.

Of course.

> I dont' see that ever happening.

Right, it's not gonna happen.

  I was on the DC committee that originally came
> up with the DC course idea a couple yrs before 93 at which time MMY
> trashed it saying the M-effect had already been proven enough.  For
> some reason he consented when hagelin revived the idea in 93, but I
> don't see him agreeing again and I can't see the tmo ever getting
> nearly enough people to participate in such an experiment.

I think MMY is probably quite right.  Even if there were
a Maharishi Effect, I don't think you could ever
demonstrate it convincingly no matter *how* many studies
you did.  Just too many variables.  Waste of time and
money and effort.

> So what's going to be the practical result of all these half or 3/4
> baked M-effect studies?

Basically nothing (except that some of them are a
little better-cooked than you think).  But they're
pretty interesting to discuss.