God Bless You Mr Rosewater (sic) was published in 1965 so predates Kurt
learning TM. As salyavin says the novel is Breakfast of Champions (1973).
Here's a quote from the novel (warning: mantra info revealed!):
 When Bunny played the piano bar at the Holiday Inn, he had many, many secrets.
One of them was this: he wasn’t really there. He was able to absent himself
from the cocktail lounge, and from the planet itself, for that matter, by means
of Transcendental Meditation. He learned this technique from Maharishi Mahesh
Yogi, who once stopped off in Midland City during a world-wide lecture tour.
Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, in exchange for a new handkerchief, a piece of fruit, a
bunch of flowers, and thirty-five dollars, taught Bunny to close his eyes, and
to say this euphonious nonsense word to himself over and over again:
“Aye-eeeeem, aye-eeeeem, aye-eeeeem.” Bunny sat on the edge of his bed in the
hotel room now, and he did it. “Aye-eeeeem, aye-eeeeem”, he said to
himself—internally. The rhythm of the chant matched one syllable with each two
beats in his heart. He closed his eyes. He became a skin diver in the depths of
his mind. The depths were seldom used.
His heart slowed. His respiration nearly stopped. A single word floated by in
the depths. It had somehow escaped from the busier parts of his mind. It wasn’t
connected to anything. It floated by lazily, a translucent, scarf-like fish.
The word was untroubling. Here was the word: “Blue.”

 Not sure which novel.  Hmmmm.   I think it was the book where Trout's son was
a piano player who did TM and at some point someone's face got scraped bloody
by being raked along a piano's keys.   If I remember rightly, then there also
was a very bad presentation of the TM technique...and maybe the son was
shouting his mantra aloud at some point there....dunno.  But at the time I was
a true believer, and that book put me off my feed as a Vonnegut fan.  Might
have been "God Bless You Mr. Goldwater."
 I believe it was Breakfast of Champions, the character ended up getting beaten
to death while meditating, clearly the concept of the Maharishi Effect hadn't
been introduced yet....

 Thanks "Buck in the Dome". That was new info for me. It sounds a high-energy
period in the life of the TMO.

 And "Duveyoung": what was the novel you refer to? I've read a couple of Kurt's
novels (Slaughterhouse-Five and Cat's Cradle) but the TM link isn't in either
of those.

 Yeah, Ol' Kurt loved TM so much he wrote a novel in which a character learned
TM, and Kurt DISCLOSED HIS MANTRA IN THE BOOK, and then that character
proceeded to GO VIOLENTLY NUTS.

 Yeah, Ol' Kurt loved TM so much he wrote a novel in which a character learned
TM, and Kurt DISCLOSED HIS MANTRA IN THE BOOK, and then that character
proceeded to GO VIOLENTLY NUTS.

  • [FairfieldLife]... Duveyoung
    • [Fairfield... s3raph...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]
        • [F... s3raph...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]