From: salyavin808 <no_re...@yahoogroups.com>

Jim has lost it before and will lose it again, but this is by far the worst
case of losing it so far.

Enlightened? At this point he's barely human...

I'm interested in why anyone who risks a dissenting voice round here is classed
as emotionally immature as well as intellectually lazy. I can see how someone
with entrenched beliefs might assume that they must have arrived intellectually
at what they think is true, and that therefore anyone who disagrees must be
deficient not to have arrived at the same conclusion.

But to think that makes them some sort of emotional cripple as well is most
puzzling, I can only assume it's a catch all insult that's designed to hurt
whoever might be on the receiving end, and sort of a way of saying you must be
a TOTAL loser and not just an intellectual one for daring to disagree with me.
Like a toddler saying I HATE YOU FOREVER because you won't give them a second
biscuit.

I think the reason this happens is that Jim and other spiritual/religious types
don't realise their beliefs are emotional rather than logical and insult any
contrarians in an accordingly similar way to how they feel they've been
slighted.

Exactly. They are OFFENDED that someone like myself or you has overcome the
Fear Of God that society tried to imprint us with, and they haven't. They're
still terrified that if they express doubt of any kind, their imaginary friend
God will smite them. Can't risk that. And they're more than a little pissed of
that God has *not* smitten us, so they have to try to make up for him being a
slacker and try to smite us themselves.  :-)

The two modes of being don't seem to mix very well, this must be why I feel no
emotional pain whatsoever when someone disagrees with me about quantum
tunnelling being a likely cause of creation, and why the hell would I? It's
only an abstract idea that may or may not be true, if I was hung up on it or
actually defined by it then it might be different. That's maybe where the abuse
comes from.

I agree, especially in Jim's case. Let's face it...he is basically NOTHING
without his story of "being enlightened." Without that, he's just another guy
who inherited a little money rather than earned it, quit his job, and moved out
into the country, where now he's so lonely that the only people he ever gets to
talk to are on the screen of his laptop. Or that exist in his imagination, like
his imaginary friend God (or The Ghost Of Guru Dev).

So naturally he *resents* that some of us live in cities where they have pubs
and cafes full of real people, and at which we can sit and talk with these real
people.

I suspect that what he resents even more is that we can sit there and talk with
these real people without having to invent made-up stories to impress them
with.

Jim feels that the only way he can get anyone to listen to him is to say, "Hi,
my name is Jim, and I am fully enlightened." We can just say, "Hi, I'm Barry,"
or "Hi, I'm Salyavin," or "Hi, I'm Curtis," and that's ENOUGH.

But Jim is right, we should be looking for the creator, and if we don't find
him or it turns out to be merely a flux in relativistic quantum boundary
possibilities then so be it. The urge to know is there in me.

Me, I don't really give a shit. I think I realized at age 15 that if someone
could present me with absolute, irrefutable proof that a God existed, it
wouldn't change my life in the slightest.

That is still true, because I got over the Fear Of God belief that they tried
to imprint me with back during my two weeks of Sunday School attendance. Jim
and John never did, so they can't make the leap to living without an "imaginary
friend" who is watching them at every moment to make sure they don't fuck up
and he has to send them to everlasting torment in Hell. Some "friend."  :-)