That's a sticky question. In principle, scientists are supposed to make data
available, but personality and agenda can get in the way.

 A law or regulation was passed about a decade ago requiring that any
researchers doing research funded by the NIH would have to make the raw data
from such a study easily available to anyone who asked, presumably to address
this very issue (personalities and agendas). The requirement also affects data
in studies that never get published.

 That's why the TM researchers are REALLY conservative in asking for NIH
funding, I believe.

 From the most realistic, albeit cynical, perspective, by the time affects have
been documented over and over again via private pilot studies, published pilot
studies, etc.,  to the point where  pro-TM researchers are pretty darned
positive that large-scale studies are going to show that TM works well on some
measure, they're willing to apply for NIH funding because they MUST be willing
to show the data to anyone who asks.

 That's why the TM effects on blood pressure seem more robust than on any other
topic. They were willing to ask for NIH funding, so they were already pretty
darned sure what the outcome was going to be.

 The same reasons to be skeptical of  Big Pharma research apply to TM research
is the take-away message -but everyone here already realizes that, I should
hope.

 Lawson, addressing the issue of raw data disclosure, do peer reviewed
publications require this? If they do, then I assume Fred's research was fine
in this regard. If they don't, then should they?