In a message dated 11/18/05 8:54:37 A.M. Central Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
It was always my understanding that "the Babaji" was a light body emanation of the Nath mahasiddha, Goraknatha, i.e. the revealer of modern hatha-yoga and pranayama. That seems to be what the Yogananda lineage is saying. Now this is a rather common name. Are other people claiming a physical human is the same Babaji of "Autobiography of a Yogi" fame?

There is a Babaji group with multiple web sites that claim their guy was the same one that was associated with Yogananda. However this guy died several years ago and the followers of Yoganand's Kriya yoga claim they are not the same people. Supposedly the Babaji that died  years ago had been found in a cave doing tapas and drew a following and some Americans asked him if he was Babaji and his answer was somewhat vague and the Americans drew their on conclusion that he was. It turns out the guy is half British and I think his mother was Sikh and I believe a servant to his father. You might check out Marshall Govindam's  web site. I'm pretty sure that is where I read about this guy.