---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <LEnglish5@...> wrote :

 The Type I multiverse isn't a belief, but merely the inescapable conclusion
that you simply MUST draw given a few assumptions about the nature of the
universe.

 If you have to rely on assumptions it is still "just" a theory. We simply
don't know yet if the universe is infinite in extent.

 In a sense, a Type 1 multiverse is merely an extension of Bolzmann's Brain,
which is where a nervous system spontaneously arises somewhere in the universe
due to random quantum events that has an illusory past history that makes said
nervous system believe that it is a typical living creature with a
human/martian/vulcan/whatever background -at least for that brief instant
before it expires due to lack of anything that would normally keep such a
nervous system alive.

 Futurama had at least one episode where the characters encounter an entire
colony of such brains floating in space.

 In that case I believe it.

 Re "The multiverse is a theory . . . I don't see why atheists would use this
theory to support their idea that there is no God.":

 The multiverse theory - the idea that there are a possibly infinite number of
universes - is uncannily like the idea of the medieval scholastics that in God
there were an infinite number of potential worlds that He(?) could actualize.
The big difference - and it is a really, really big difference - is that in the
multiverse theory all possible universes *must* exist - including the most
hideous. For the theologians, God would *only* bring into existence those
worlds he felt were good (good in the long run - and for the majority of us).

 And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good.

 (Genesis 1:31)

 Also in this He shewed me a little thing, the quantity of an hazel-nut, in the
palm of my hand; and it was as round as a ball. I looked thereupon with eye of
my understanding, and thought: What may this be? And it was answered generally
thus: It is all that is made. I marvelled how it might last, for methought it
might suddenly have fallen to naught for little[ness]. And I was answered in my
understanding: It lasteth, and ever shall [last] for that God loveth it. And so
All-thing hath the Being by the love of God.

 (Julian of Norwich)

 There is no evidence for there being any multiverses - it is as much a leap of
faith as believing in God. The "God option" really means you have trust in
whatever is unfolding.

        • [F... anartax...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]
          • ... s3raph...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]
            • ... salyavin808