On 11/29/2014 10:14 AM, curtisdeltabl...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife] wrote:

It was Judy who brought that phrase about being open minded, attributed to her dad, after I accused her of being close minded on a topic.

C: I didn't get if from Judy or her dad. We all got it from someplace else, it is a common saying. The skeptics use it a lot which is most likely my source. James Randi used it a lot.

Judy said her dad used to say it and yeah probably a lot of people used it. But I run into people who just mentally close up before you can get your full argument out.

N: What is happening to FFL is we are getting old and cranky. Some of us are approaching our 70s and some are already there. And we have some that are a generation younger (apparently Salyavin and MJ).

It is kinda unusual to watch a group fly this out of control. Usually moderators will keep things civil but then there's nothing like a "free for all" either. Some of us like to keep our anonymity because we don't want (having been TM teachers) unwarranted reprisals from the TMO. Even Judy recommended it.

But anyway the places also has to keep up it's appearances as a "loony bin" which doesn't seem to hard to do. :-D

C: I think it has worked pretty well as an unmoderated discussion group with a few exceptions. I can only think of a few times when it seemed to go over what I consider a reasonable line. I don't mind if someone calls me names here about being stupid or unevolved because of my perspective. I consider all of that a version of "poopy pants" and believe it weakens their argument against my points. It says " this is all I got." So if a moderator jumped in on that kind of personal attack it would take away what i consider to be evidence of my points not being refuted by reason. That works for me.

I was always opposed to posting limits and only wrote the counter software since people were having a hard time keeping track of posts. Most moderators would have given time outs to people "graffitizing" the group. People will do that still on some of the newsgroups but the Thunderbird newsreader probably the option to just "ignore thread" and you never see the rest of their posts again (they're usually the only ones replying to it anyway).