In my experience (given all possible observations, a rather microscopic slice
of life) those that have loosened up or (possibly) lost a straight jacket sense
of limited and static identity, tend to laugh a lot. Not (necessarily) in dumb
and silly reactive ways, but more towards deeper, joyful, playful laughter.
Play is perhaps a key theme. MMY, a flawed but perhaps relevant example) was
like that, at times, in smaller settings, particularly in the pre 1975 days.

 And those with a deep sense of (in their view) the absurdity of life, even if
its exposition seems dry, pedantic and even morose (like the Woody Allen
interview within the "Atheist" video I posted yesterday, still can have a
robust sense of humor.

 Both are in a sense, result from finding less or little to hang onto, less
ability or need to impose grand meanings and narratives on life and its events,
and more a moment to moment sense of adventure to find or simply see momentary
wonder, joy or irony in things as they occur.

 A more generalized (possibly obtuse and pompous) framework is that a static,
limited sense of self are deep roots of self-deception.  Those who are not as
tightly tied to an identity based on common ID markers such as level of
education (and schools attended) career, age, gender, income, status,
possessions, steady progress in life (not the ups and downs of, you know,
"losers"), what others think of them, appearance and physical flaws, a
conviction regarding the correctness of their thoughts and judgments, tastes,
appear to have exponentially greater degrees of freedom to "play". And in that
play, express and enjoy wide ranging humor reflecting the contradictions,
"absurdities", disconnects, and juxtaposition of unexpected elements.
Typically, it is not, at at least less so, humor aimed at diminishing others.

 And having less to lose when things inevitably change, perhaps enables them
more of a sense of adventure in life, rather than keeping it safe and secure.

 "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not" (Yogi
Berra)   In theory, I love science and its methods, despite severe limits.
Particularly neuroscience, broadly defined. However, in practice, I am quite
leery of psychological studies using interviews with canned questions,
particularly if "Yes/No" are the alternatives. Even 10 point scales can be
silly responses to complex questions.

 "More than once it felt good when I heard on the news that someone had been
killed”
 “I could never enjoy being cruel.”

 I would hope anyone with a sense of humor as well as some sense of the
diversity and richness of life to reject such questions, and scribble in:

 "It depends! On definitions, on context and degree (not that morality is
necessarily conditional).  And if you want to talk about it great, but I am not
going to give you a misleading, yet easily quantifiable and scored because it
makes your study easier to do and let you draw unwarranted conclusions to an
unsuspecting public."

 And I suspect, some that would laugh at the question  “I could never enjoy
being cruel.” as absurd, and check and emphatic NO!, may not be the deepest,
compassionate, nuanced thinkers on the block.  Ethical questions regarding an
off the cuff call to "nuke the towel heads" or in another arena, for example,
large-scale factory farming, may never occur to them. They may have a
wide-spectrum, practiced and widely acknowledged sense of humor (particularly
after an extended duration of beer pong) but does this (caricature) typically
reflect much self-awareness / absence of denial?  What I have seen over the
years (yes, limited observations) is that some who possess great outer verve
and bravado and air-tight self confidence in expressing loud, black and white
positions, may actually be denying quite a bit -- that may finally begin to
surface later in life.

  • [FairfieldLife] Humor an... emily.ma...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]
    • Re: [FairfieldLife]... TurquoiseBee turquoi...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]
      • Re: [FairfieldL... emily.ma...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]