From: "seerd...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]" <FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com>
..."In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not"
(Yogi Berra)   In theory, I love science and its methods, despite severe
limits. Particularly neuroscience, broadly defined. However, in practice, I am
quite leery of psychological studies using interviews with canned questions,
particularly if "Yes/No" are the alternatives. Even 10 point scales can be
silly responses to complex questions.
"More than once it felt good when I heard on the news that someone had been
killed” “I could never enjoy being cruel.”

Just as a question, why can't someone who has No Problem answering these
questions with a simple "Yes" or "No" interpret the inability to do so as
self-deception. For example, given that interpretation, all that follows could
easily fit into that category:

I would hope anyone with a sense of humor as well as some sense of the
diversity and richness of life to reject such questions, and scribble in:   "It
depends! On definitions, on context and degree (not that morality is
necessarily conditional).  And if you want to talk about it great, but I am not
going to give you a misleading, yet easily quantifiable and scored because it
makes your study easier to do and let you draw unwarranted conclusions to an
unsuspecting public."
And I suspect, some that would laugh at the question  “I could never enjoy
being cruel.” as absurd, and check and emphatic NO!, may not be the deepest,
compassionate, nuanced thinkers on the block.  Ethical questions regarding an
off the cuff call to "nuke the towel heads" or in another arena, for example,
large-scale factory farming, may never occur to them. They may have a
wide-spectrum, practiced and widely acknowledged sense of humor (particularly
after an extended duration of beer pong) but does this (caricature) typically
reflect much self-awareness / absence of denial?  What I have seen over the
years (yes, limited observations) is that some who possess great outer verve
and bravado and air-tight self confidence in expressing loud, black and white
positions, may actually be denying quite a bit -- that may finally begin to
surface later in life.

  • [FairfieldLife] Humor an... emily.ma...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]
    • Re: [FairfieldLife]... TurquoiseBee turquoi...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]
      • Re: [FairfieldL... emily.ma...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]