EM:  I posted this article because I like the topic; personally, I think the
"test" they used, based on what they mentioned of it, is a bunch of BS.  There
are no black and white answers.  The article itself is lousy and dumbed down
for "public consumption."

 SD: I think the premise of the study is valid (from abstract) " More generally
since humor often involves seeing life or a person from a novel angle and
self-deception tends to reduce such angles, self-deception will naturally tend
to reduce ones sense of humor."

 My concern is the research design -- whereby self-deception is purportedly
measured by a questionnaire.In contrast, if the study identified levels of
deception via brain imaging or similar means, it could be quite insightful.
That is, almost by definition people don't know when they are deceiving
themselves. Tell tale clues might show up if previously identified and
established "deception centers" in the brain lit up when a subject gave
particular responses. Without that, we are left with i appears, some crude
notion of an implicit norm about self-detection such as "its normal for
everyone to at times enjoy being cruel"

 So if one answers "no" to "I could never enjoy being cruel.” one would
presumably score higher on the self-detection scale. To me that ass-backwards.
People who are cruel to others have a distinctly more limited perspective than
a more considerate compassionate person that sees from multiple angles, from
other people's perspectives, how actions may hurt another. And taking pleasure
in another's pain further indicates some inner pain/distortions twistedness
that would generally indicate a limited perspective. Which is counter to the
premise of the study that a wider perspective, the ability to see things from
multiple angles correlates with a broader, deeper sense of humor.

 EM: Great humor like great art often comes out of pain and suffering. .

 SD: I can't speak for others or for great art or humor, but for me, creative
times are generally amplified during times of balance and integration -- when a
back drop of relaxed freedom and happiness exists and playfulness is more
manifest. My point on the (not termed such in prior post) of the existential
angst  Woody Allen appeared to express in the posted video -- to me is
different than pain and suffering. The angst has force/motivated him to find
humor, if not some degree of joy and happiness, from the creative act and --
and appreciating what there is in life, even if fleeting and ever changing.

 EM: Well, I like narratives in that I like stories, but in personal terms, it
can get so grandiose and egotistical at times - relaying the *narrative* of
one's life as a way of being.  Gets in the way of living it.  The mind by
itself - I think it is overrated, personally.  Inspiration comes from the heart
and spirit. They gotta all be connected or it does get insanely and obscenely
dull and repetitive.  The mind gets off on itself and thinks it knows things -
important things, which makes it happy and then it releases happy chemicals - I
suspect it may all be a large form of mental masturbation (forgive my term).

 SD: personal narratives and imposing judgements and values on everything one
sees, for me does seem to get in the way -- and over time has loosened its
hold. That is distinct from the intensity and degree of mental inquiry one
pursues -- which I think is an individual thing -- some are more drawn in that
direction -- and the process may be clarifying for them. However, for me as to
when it becomes obsessive and marginally productive can be a issue and and can
trip me up  at times -- warranting some reflection as to when to move on..

 EM: Am learning a new way.  I do love to "play" - the definition of "play" and
also the word "fun" have radically expanded in scope in the last couple of
years.

 SD: For me, there is a useful distinction between "play"/ (leisure activities
broadly defined) which have transitioned a bit towards the boring for me,
distinct from "playfulness" which can underlie all parts of life.