Bhairitu,

 It's debatable to say that humans are machines, although some people call
humans as biological machines.

 A few days ago, I posted a video clip of Tom Campbell who states that the
universe is a virtual reality.   He backs this up by using the results of the
famous double-slit experiment in physics.  But he believes that Consciousness
is the main computer that makes this virtual reality possible.

 Human being are machines too, just not the familiar wires and microchips.
Consciousness is probably just an artifact of the operating system.