Jesus, Edg,  you've been doing some deep thinking during your hiatus.

 I'm trying to find some place to plug in here, but not having much luck.

 But maybe a few comments below, on a re-read.

 Plato and Aquinas believed in a "core person" who is imagined having some sort
of eternal existence, and more, that that core's history was "responsible for
itself."

 I guess, I believe this too, that I have an individualized soul, that does
transmigrate.

This requires free will.

 I don't believe in causality.  It's not a matter of free will vs determinism.
I don't believe that "the soul" exists -- except as a construct.  To me, it's
not an "entity of some as yet unknown materiality" that transmigrates to
another body/incarnation or that journeys in astral realms or that enters an
eternal heaven or hell.....or other explanations -- all of which seem to
propose that "individuality must necessarily imply continuity" because: karma.

 Yes, karma.  I can't make sense of things without it.

 How can God be fair if a soul doesn't live again and again in order that IT
gets "corrected" from having a tilted POV (warped plus attachment) due to
damage from previous incarnations?

 We ask.

 Gotta be the same exactly entity that gets its rewards or comeuppance -- this
is a basic moral tenet of most scriptures: evolution.

 We insist.

But, BAH.  This addiction to "explaining and understanding the content of
consciousness in MY nervous system" is simply tawdry.  Better to read tea
leaves than take a snapshot of your mind at any given moment and then predict
its future.  Picasso said, "Why ask me what a painting means if you're not
asking a bird what its song means?"  Or something like that.  Same deal for
every thought that arises -- the divine intent is not something that can be
sussed.

 M commented one time, when asked why the experience of PC is blissful, and
when continually pressed, said, "why is water wet, why does fire burn.  It is
its nature"

 That answer impressed me.

 As an aside, in the Upanishads, I always like the answer to unrelenting
questioning about an entity which really can't be described, the response by
Yajanakvalka, or maybe it was Gargi,

 "You are asking questions about an entity about which further questions cannot
be asked.  If you ask further quesstion, your head will fall off

 And Sure enough her head fell off and robbers took it away, thinking it was
something else"  (or something along those lines.

 We are witness solely -- but not at all soully.

And even the witness is a bogus entity in that it comes and goes "as needed
(heh)."  It is merely the least "unit" of identification -- not identity.  Only
awareness is identity -- everything else is a symbol of it...even the witness.

Only awareness is generally defined in such a way that it is truly
transcendental to all definitions.  Ask Godel about this.  Consciousness always
implies individuality because all such "entities" seem easily differentiated
from the others; whereas, awareness is the same for all reporters.

Every mind.  Every entity is witnessed.  Awareness is an all time reality even
if the consciousness is in a deep resting phase...or for that matter "just now
dead."  Heh.  Awareness isn't some THING that can be imagine as having an "off
switch."

Careful consideration about "awareness" forces a logical conclusion:  it is the
only "worthy concept" with which one can build an understanding about identity.

To identify with any particular nervous system is to be in error.  It is the
act of NOT seeing that boundaries are projected and never truly validated by
any looksee by any discipline; be it scientific method, scriptural syllogisms,
or whatever.

I am clueless about Advaita, or Neo Advaita. It sounds like these are concepts
from those philosophies, based on some of the things you've posted in the past.

 To identify is to NOT KNOW THE SELF.  If you think you're Krishna or Joe
Schmoe, you've just lost the game.  The same awareness informs both nervous
systems.  To me, "awareness" and "the Absolute" are as close to being the same
concept as possible for two different words. Heh.  To me, every speck of ALL
THIS springs into "existence" moment by moment as does any thought....as we
easily see in a dream...where all the characters and even the chairs they sit
on and the air they breathe and the laws of physics they obey.... ALL THAT is
sprung/spun wholly -- in one piece -- by the brain.  There are not parts that
caused other parts in that dream -- no true individuality of any "item" in any
dream.  A ball doesn't fall to the floor because of "dream gravity."

Same with waking life. Exactly the same.  Dead dog's smegma or ojas entering
Lord Indra's duodenum -- it's all divinely dreamed.....only entities in the
dream can care about which qualities are present in any given moment in the
dream.  Entities are liars addicted to certainties. Self blinkered.  Bubble
jailed minds.

Egos are exactly like Moriarty in Picard's holodeck -- we all think we can walk
out of the holodeck.  As if.

Bottom line:  I'm not a scholar, but I'd be sorely disappointed if Plato and
Aquinas had not at least considered the above -- but in their terms.  Anyone
here up on Plato or Aquinas?

I see "the Absolute" in all the scriptures, but it's usually a "fuzzy"
snapshot.

 Edg,

 That's a heavy conclusion.  So what do you say to philosophers, like Plato and
Aquinas, who have tackled questions like this and wrote books on the subject?
Are you saying that they're egotistical and not sentient?

 The word "know" makes this a primal question.  My answer:  no.

New question: can a human nervous system know ethics?  My answer: no.

The ego lies to itself. IT IS NOT SENTIENT.  It is a process.  An artifact of a
vastness.

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <anartaxius@...> wrote :

 Of course we can. The query to be answered is whether it is worth the
computing time and the bother of implementation.

 One machine said NO...which is correct.  It's database was based on movie
scripts.  But if the database included philosophical and ethics discussions,
the machine could have gotten the correct answer from those discussions.  Even
if it got the correct answer, the machine still does not know what it said.

 Artificial Intelligence Machine Gets Testy With Its Programmer
http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2015/06/26/artificial-intelligence-machine-gets-testy-with-its-programmers/?mod=yahoo_hs

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2015/06/26/artificial-intelligence-machine-gets-testy-with-its-programmers/?mod=yahoo_hs

 Artificial Intelligence Machine Gets Testy With Its Prog...
http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2015/06/26/artificial-intelligence-machine-gets-testy-with-its-programmers/?mod=yahoo_hs
 Machine is asked to define morality, gets annoyed when it can't.

 View on blogs.wsj.com
http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2015/06/26/artificial-intelligence-machine-gets-testy-with-its-programmers/?mod=yahoo_hs
 Preview by Yahoo

  • [FairfieldLif... Duveyoung