To Spiritual Ahimsa,
 hows about..
A Science and NonDuality Seal of Ethical Approval, Something like The Good
Housekeeping Seal of approval?

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <dhamiltony...@yahoo.com> wrote :

 An Old meditator here who knew Maharishi and of the back story in the 1960’s
suggests Rick run his spiritual ethics board something like the Organic
Standards is set with ‘recertification’ and inspections to standards, every
year, in certification that there has been no such #MeToo activity the previous
year.

 Rick Writes:

 A Code of Ethics and “The Association of Professional Spiritual Teachers”

..

 Good framework for thinking about this, Sky.
 However, clearly Science does not yet have a measurement handle on shakti in
the human psycho spiritual body.
 MRI’s, EEG’s, blood chemistry and such as tools are yet way too coarse.
People’s experience and the transparency of the internet age of communication
about people’s experience with spiritual people is probably the best Consumer’s
Report about spiritual people that we have to protect ourselves from
organizational cultures of fraud or bad behavioral morality in particular
teachers.
 Already there are some web pages that have comparisons. But the #MeToo means
of report has its own reality in effect now with the internet.
 ..

 skymtsea writes:

 437491Ethics and Non-Dual Teachers and Organizations

 A core ethical issue for the non-dual community is whether teachers are
offering something of value, if they are delivering what they promise, and if
they can speak with high veracity and confidence supporting these claims.
 That is,
 a) have they achieved the states and live the attributes that they claim to be
able to teach others,
 b) are they able to effectively teach others to attain them,
 c) if so, what time frames are required, how much commitment is necessary
(time and money), and
 d) are all, or only a subset of students, able to attain these states.

 It seems reasonable that there may be a correlation between teachers and
organizations pursuing unethical actions and the degree to which they are more
bluster than bliss, more talk than performance.  Addressing performance could
in turn address unethical actors in the community.

 A strong objective framework for evaluating a teacher’s attainments and their
method’s effectiveness is testing and measurement by the tools of cognitive
science. For example, a lot could be gained if the teacher, along with their
top 10 or 25 students offered to undergo a standardized set of evaluation
measures (fMRI, advanced EEG, blood work, comprehensive sophisticated batteries
of cognitive tests, etc.)  While the results of these tests do not, at least
per current models of consciousness, provide definitive proof of any
Enlightened state, they can provide insight into whether the practitioners have
achieved various markers of achieved by other advanced practitioners. And
possibly exceeding thresholds or prior studies, and or novel brain activity or
cognitive responses.

 If on the other hand, the results of the test showed nothing special or unique
of the normal non-practicing populace, one would question what the practice is
achieving. If no change in brain, cognitive, neurotransmitter or other activity
is observed, then claims of refined mental, cognitive or emotional capabilities
would be in doubt.

 I would think that a group called Science and Non-Duality would be
aggressively seeking to validate non-duality states with state-of-the-art
research (and help identify / weed out, non-performing teachers and
organizations.) Yet I don’t see any research agenda on the SAND website. SAND
or other non-dual groups could become a powerful conduit of advanced
practitioners to the many university and research centers doing research on
meditative methods.  How to facilitate and fund such research is a larger topic
which I may try to address in a separate post.

 At a minimum, core ethical values and codes of conduct revolving around full
disclosure and a culture of transparency would be of value. Some useful areas
of for consideration:

 1) Encourage all non-dual teachers and organizations to provide evidence of
the teachers’ attainments and the effectiveness of their teaching methods.

 2) Guidelines as to what to do when witnessing or experiencing ethical
breaches by spiritual teachers and/or organizations. Possibly implementation of
hotlines or database of unethical reports.

 3) Full disclosure of possible adverse effects of the practices.

 4) Financial transparency. Ability to audit the financials.

 5) Ethical considerations of requesting or promoting “Surrendering to the
Teacher”

 6) Disclosure (or some indication of) what’s in the back rooms
  (the esoteric teaching, the weird and wild stuff that may not become evident
for several years after the student has made substantial time, effort, identity
and financial investments in the teachings, practices, etc.)

 7) Seva -- work/study/service practices.
 A time-honored and useful tradition in many circumstances and implementations
where students work at ashrams, retreat centers, teaching centers, etc. for
room and board and often reduction of tuition and fees for courses and
instruction. However, over time, in some situations, this may evolve into a
type of indentured servitude or guilt-driven labor bondage. Some ethical
guidelines would be useful in this arena.

 Rick Writes:

 A Code of Ethics and “The Association of Professional Spiritual Teachers”
 The times are such that there's no longer much tolerance or acceptance in the
spiritual community for abusive, immoral behavior. Many people are maturing and
raising their standards. Many sanghas are trying to clean house, ousting
misbehaving teachers, drafting codes of ethics and policies to try to prevent
future abuses, etc.
 To help meet this need, the authors of this article have been working together
since the last SAND conference to draft a code of ethics and to form an
“Association of Professional Spiritual Teachers”. This organization is being
registered as a non-profit 501(c)3. We do not presume any moral superiority. We
possess neither the wisdom, the desire, nor the authority to “police” spiritual
teachers as organizations governing doctors, lawyers and other professionals
are empowered to do. Our intention is to articulate a set of standards to which
spiritual teachers, ourselves included, might aspire, and to raise awareness
among students as to the behavior they might expect in a teacher, thus
emboldening them to exercise their own judgement and discrimination. This
should enrich the partnership between teachers and students, enabling each to
help the other progress quickly and safely on the spiritual path.
 At this October’s SAND conference in San Jose, we will conduct a panel
discussion, including audience interaction. We look forward to your attendance
and participation!
---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <dhamiltony...@yahoo.com> wrote :

 A 501(c)3 non-profit. Would be interesting to see the draft of the written
mission statement, bylaws and statement of membership.  You all want a
membership association of people who are spiritual in some transformative way
to some degree and who are moral. With authority. Who is going to rise to speak
to this with (moral) authority?

 More broadly, “Morality is the differentiation of intentions, decisions and
actions between those that are distinguished as proper and those that are
improper.”  Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morality
 Morals:
 2.
 a person's standards of behavior or beliefs concerning what is and is not
acceptable for them to do.

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <dhamiltony...@yahoo.com> wrote :

 What is a saint? Start there.

 Then, what is conscionable?

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <r...@searchsummit.com> wrote :

 Article I published at
https://www.scienceandnonduality.com/?post_type=post&p=126334.

 Slightly updated version below.

 Ethics and Spiritual Teaching
 By Rick Archer, with Jac O’Keeffe, Craig Holliday, and Caverly Morgan.
Significant contributions by Timothy Conway.
 It’s a safe bet that everyone reading this article has read accounts of
spiritual teachers engaging in questionable behavior. Many of you may have been
on the receiving end of such behavior. It seems that almost every week, the
transgressions of some prominent spiritual leader are exposed.
 This has caused confusion, pain, and disillusionment among spiritual
aspirants. We don’t expect movie moguls or politicians to be paragons of
virtue, but the spiritual traditions tell us their saints and sages were. We’ve
all been inspired by stories of their lives. Were these stories hyperbolic? Is
there a correlation between spiritual advancement and ethical behavior? Should
teachers be expected to embody the time-honored principles of  Ahimsa,
Loving-Kindness, and the Golden Rule? If they appear not to, have they assumed
the mantle of teacherhood prematurely? Can one be an enlightened scoundrel?
 Are Ethics Relative?
 Some argue that moral standards are cultural fabrications with no absolute or
universal validity, but some values are universally agreed upon.
 No one considers rape and pedophilia acceptable, except perhaps those guilty
of them. Many consider working on the Sabbath, eating meat, and polygamy
sinful, but they are acceptable or even the norm in many cultures.
 Some cultures practice things that most of us would consider barbaric, such as
female genital mutilation. Hopefully everyone reading this would agree that
this should be universally unacceptable and forbidden. The fact that many
people consider it part of their tradition doesn’t mean it deserves our respect
or tolerance in the world we hope to create.
 So perhaps we can agree that although ethical standards may vary from culture
to culture and age to age, they are not mere personal preferences, all being
equally valid. As human beings, there are baseline standards on which we should
insist, and ideals to which we might aspire.
 Ethical Behavior is Good For You
 Most spiritual traditions regard ethical behavior not only as a reflection of
spiritual development, but as conducive to it. Most have some notion of karma
and say that if we hurt others we will reap the consequences and impede our own
spiritual evolution. Both Advaita Vedanta and Buddhism teach that practicing
ethical behavior makes the mind more open and subtle and thus more capable of
deep nondual insight.
 Modern neurophysiology, with its discovery of neuroplasticity, may eventually
corroborate this teaching. The body is the temple of the soul, the vehicle
through which the Ultimate may become a living reality. We handicap ourselves
by coarsening or damaging it, as unethical behaviors tend to do.
 In Buddhism, students are encouraged to develop deep compassion even before
beginning with teachings on emptiness. In "The Art of Happiness in a Troubled
World", the Dalai Lama is quoted saying, "If you want others to be happy,
practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion”.
 Reality is Different in Different States of Consciousness
 People often fixate on one or another of three different perspectives, the
transcendent, the Divine, and the material. But these perspectives, even though
they may seem opposed to one another, are paradoxically yet simultaneously
true, each in its own domain. For the sake of argument, let’s define
Enlightenment as a state in which one has learned to coexist simultaneously in
all three.
 Failing to do so, if one fixates on the transcendent, one might say, "Only
unity is real and important. The world is unreal, and there is no personal
self.” Some Nondual teachers have acted unethically, and then claimed that no
one was doing it and that it didn’t matter anyway because the world is unreal.
 Others might say that there is a world, but it is perfect just as it is. All
is well and wisely put; it's all Divinely orchestrated. If you adopt this
perspective exclusively, you may feel that you can do whatever you like. You’re
not doing it. God is.
 If we focus exclusively on the material plane, for instance, on the countless
injustices and forms of cruelty to living beings, we can become angry political
fanatics, vindictive zealots always finding evil-doers somewhere and throwing
them out of our heart with the constricted mind of scornful anger and venomous
disgust over what "those evil persons" are doing.
 The transcendent, divine, and material perspectives all have their relevance,
but none can be taken to the exclusion of the others without creating
imbalance. The spiritual luminaries we most admire seem to have integrated all
three.
 For more on this, see Timothy Conway’s article, “The Three Simultaneously True
Levels of Nondual Reality”.
 Are Higher Consciousness and Ethical Behavior Correlated?
 Some say that ethical teachings aren't needed because having realized one's
true nature, one will inevitably and spontaneously act in the best interest of
all beings in every situation -- something we might call "spontaneous right
action." Some scriptures speak of this possibility, and there’s a spiritual
logic to it, but it's hard to find examples of it. Even if it’s a possibility,
it would only apply to realized beings. Everyone else would still need ethical
moorings.
 Ken Wilber mentions "waking up", "growing up", and “cleaning up”, and says
that the development of consciousness and behavior are not tightly correlated.
We may have been taught that our spiritual practice will produce holistic
development. To some extent it may, but the actual experience of most spiritual
practitioners seems to indicate that all aspects of life still need individual
culturing.
 Free Will
 Some people say the whole consideration of ethics is moot because we have
absolutely no free will. Ramesh Balsekar contended that we are governed
entirely by our genetics and conditioning. This has been used by some as an
alibi for misbehavior.
 People act according to their level of consciousness, their degree of purity
or impurity, their conditioning. Someone who is rather stunted by those
measures can't simply decide to act like a saint. Ethical guidelines give
people something to adhere to within their capacity to do so, like traffic
laws.
 Walk Your Talk
 The Upanishads state, “Aham Brahmasmi” – "I am Brahman," and "Tat Twam Asi" --
"Thou art That." If we're really living Nonduality, then chairs, people, and
everything are just as much a part of us as our arm is. As Jesus said,
"Whatsoever you do to the least of these, you have done it to me". If someone
is claiming Realization, yet behaving harmfully, maybe we should question their
realization: "You shall know them by their fruits".
 If a spiritual teacher is using people to fulfill lustful, greedy, and
ambitious desires, chances are they do not perceive “the Self in all beings,
and all beings in the Self” (Bhagavad Gita: VI, 28). They still regard persons
as objects and lack authentic empathy.
 If we claim or imply that we have realized our true nature and are offering to
help others do the same, is it consistent for us to behave deceitfully,
perversely, selfishly or cruelly? Deceit might include lying about one's level
of spiritual attainment, one's lifestyle or adherence to vows – such as
claiming to be a celibate renunciate, when that is not really the case.
 Most traditions contain accounts of saints performing miracles. Maybe they
have, but some famous gurus have been excellent stage magicians and have used
their “miracles” to fool naïve villagers and even many Westerners.
 And then we get into grey areas, people claiming to be channeling beings from
other star systems or parallel universes or other times or dimensions. Should
there be any ethical standards for such performances?
 Ayahuasca and Psychedelics
 Should people administering them be trained and certified? By whom? Should
people be interviewed before they are given such substances to find out if they
are psychologically strong enough to cope with the experiences they may have?
What if there is a latent psychosis? What if someone admits beforehand that
they have a history of schizophrenia? Should they be given  large doses of such
hallucinogens? There isn't much regulation or oversight.
 Financial Issues
 Churches routinely ask their members to tithe, therapists charge for their
time, seminars and courses nearly always have a fee, most retreat centers have
to charge in order to keep functioning, and spiritual teachers have to pay the
rent, just like any others. The most popular spiritual teachers have become
quite wealthy. Is that an ethical concern?
 We’re All Works in Progress
 Shortly before his death, Nisargadatta Maharaj said, "Forget ‘I Am That’. I've
realized so much more since then, it’s so much deeper."
 Perhaps we're all works in progress and that to believe that there's an
ultimate, static terminus point that we will eventually reach, or that a
particular teacher has reached, will result in disappointment and confusion. If
we think that a teacher has reached the pinnacle of spiritual attainment, then
by implication, he can do no wrong. If he appears to be doing wrong, we may
doubt our “lying eyes” before we doubt him.
 There are numerous stories of Vedic sages who were tripped up by some latent
tendency or subtle remnants of ego they didn't know they had. There are many
degrees of awakening prior to the final enlightenment, if there even is such a
thing. If harmful, selfish behavior is displayed, it shouldn't be rationalized
away; it indicates some lack of development that should be addressed.
 Sri Nisargadatta’s teacher Sri Siddharameshvar Maharaj was always strict about
the comportment of anyone claiming “enlightenment.” He used to pithily say,
“Realize the Self and behave accordingly!”.
 Crazy Wisdom
 One point of confusion is that teachers who behave unethically often seem
spiritually advanced and their teachings beneficial. They may be eloquent,
charismatic, and knowledgeable; their presence or “transmission” palpable. If
their questionable behavior is exposed, they or their followers may use these
redeeming qualities to rationalize their behavior as a “crazy wisdom” teaching
tool.
 There have been legitimate examples of crazy-wise adepts, holy fools, rascal
gurus, but for every genuine one there have been many who use crazy wisdom as
an alibi for bad behavior. Traditionally, these holy fools were humble, meek,
and self-abnegating. They went to extremes to avoid adulation or appearing
special. In contrast to this, recent or contemporary teachers whose behavior is
excused as crazy-wisdom have often been self-indulgent, ostentatious, and
grandiose.
 Timothy Conway http://www.enlightened-spirituality.org writes, “It may be
argued by some ill-behaving teachers that the abusive-looking behavior they
enact toward students is part of a ‘venerable Crazy Wisdom tradition’ going
back to illustrious spiritual adepts. Rigorous historical scholarship has shown
this to have been a literary invention by later writers 100-300 years after the
periods in which the supposed early Crazy Wisdom adepts lived. In China,
stories of Crazy Wisdom behaviors were invented and elaborated as a literary
device to make certain Tang-dynasty Chan teachers look more interesting and
authoritative.
 After the literary invention of the Crazy Wisdom trope, later generations
witnessed numerous spiritual teachers behaving abusively - shouting at
students; kicking, beating, humiliating them; and otherwise ‘testing them’ in
extreme ways. Today we know that such ‘bad boy’ behaviors imitating the
literary trope were scathingly critiqued by numerous esteemed spiritual masters
as an unfortunate, inauthentic development, an aberrant style of spiritual
instruction.”
 Wolves in Sheep’s Clothing?
 Papaji warned, "This is the kali Yuga. Even rakshasas, demons, will incarnate
as teachers to mislead you."
 Timothy Conway http://www.enlightened-spirituality.org further writes,
"Buddhists and Hindus refer to the "asura titan" or demon types of
consciousness which can seem very powerful, very bright, very charismatic and
enlightened, but are more insidiously a syndrome afflicting someone who might
think he is enlightened but is not, because he/she is still fueled by greed,
aversion, delusion. It is especially alluring and misleading when some lovely
deva karmas are mixed in - certain talents or virtues. Such a combination of
powerful light and dark entities can be very confusing to those lacking
discernment."
 Another perspective on the issue is that of Kundalini Vidya, according to
which there can be a “deflected rising”, in which kundalini has risen to a
certain point then gotten deflected or stuck. Such a person can display the
symptoms of enlightenment such as intellectual brilliance and powerful
transmission, without actually being enlightened. Something is “off”, and as
their ego is fed by adoring followers, that “offness” can become extreme.
 Discrimination and Discernment
 It is often suggested that an enlightened being's behavior is beyond our
capacity to understand and that we should accept on faith that he is acting in
accordance with Divine Will. If this is so, then it seems the Divine has a
fondness for Rolls Royce’s or young women or young boys. Those are obvious
allusions to actual situations in which people said, "This behavior concerns
me, but I'm just going to go along with it because I’m too unenlightened to
understand an enlightened being."
 Discrimination and discernment are critical on the spiritual path. Jesus said,
"Judge not that ye be not judged," and, "why beholdest thou the mote that is in
thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?, and
yet Jesus often railed against those whom he considered hypocritical. To
exercise judgement is not necessarily to be judgmental.
 We've all seen examples of people adopting holier than thou attitudes, laying
trips on people, and perhaps even we've done it ourselves, so we don’t want to
be judgmental, but we must be discriminating.
 In evaluating a teacher perhaps we should ask ourselves, "Do I want to become
like this person?"
 We have a right and an obligation to evaluate a potential teacher, to call
them on their stuff if necessary and to leave if they are not receptive. At a
symposium of Western Buddhist teachers, the Dalai Lama had strong words for
teachers who abuse their power and students who give theirs away: "A teacher
who behaves unethically or asks students to do so can be judged as lacking in
ultimate insight," His Holiness said.
 "As far as my own understanding goes, the two claims - that you are not
subject to precepts and you are free - are the result of incorrect
understanding. No behavior is free from consequences. For this reason, true
wisdom always includes compassion, the understanding that all things and beings
are interconnected with and vulnerable to each other."
 "Even though one's realization may be higher than the high beings," His
Holiness said, "one's behavior should conform to the human way of life. When
teachers break the precepts, behaving in ways that are clearly damaging to
themselves and others, students must face the situation even though this can be
challenging. Criticize openly," His Holiness declared, "that is the only way."
 "If there is incontrovertible evidence of wrongdoing, teachers should be
confronted with it. They should be allowed to admit their wrongs, make amends,
and undergo a rehabilitation process. If a teacher won't respond, students
should publish the situation in a newspaper, not omitting the teacher's name,"
His Holiness said. "The fact that the teacher may have

(Message over 64 KB, truncated)