off_world_beings wrote:

>--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "markmeredith2002"
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

>>--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, TurquoiseB <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>

>wrote:
>

>>snip
>>

>>>You know what I find fascinating? The people on
>>>these forums who most vociferously defend the current
>>>prices that the TMO charges for TM would in most
>>>cases *not* be able to afford it themselves if they
>>>hadn't already learned it years ago. But they think
>>>it's Ok to charge the "newbies" that much. Go figure.
>>>

>>Not only can't they afford TM, or most likely anything else now
>>

>being
>

>>sold by the TMO (sidhis, panchakarma, yagyas, s-ved houses,
>>millionaire courses) but many of them would be kicked out of the
>>

>TMO
>

>>if they tried to be active. I assume Brigante's already been banned
>>and many other TBs here have expressed opinions or admitted to
>>

>other
>

>>interests or discussed mental-emotional problems all of which would
>>get them in deep hot water if they were actually in the mov't
>>

>trying
>

>>to be a devoted disciple of MMY like they think they are.  I find
>>

>this
>

>>really strange.
>>

>The price of TM is: $52 a month over 4 years, which is $12 a week,
>or $1.70 a day. Even poor people in the US spend WAY more than this
>on coffee, unhealthy fizzy drinks, and many more unhealthy
>unnecessary things every day.
>If one did it over 2 tears instead of 4, then it is still only $3.40
>a day. Anyone who has the will to, can afford TM in the US.
>
>When I first wanted to learn about yogic knowledge, I was ready to
>give up everything and travel to India to find what I was looking
>for, at great risk to myself and my future. You are now proclaiming
>to the people of the world that they should not give up their cafe-
>lattes for Vedic knowledge? This incredibly selfish, since you have
>already had the benefit of the knowledge. Many people in the world
>have nothing to absorb the stress which pushes down upon them
>everyday. As a beneficiary of a practice that you can practice any
>day, any where, even in a prison, and find relief, if you have any
>conscience at all you should be telling as many people as you can,
>that TM only costs $3.40 a day for 2 years !
>
>OffWorld

I love what Ram Das says in "Fierce Grace" about so many westerners
willing to buy into things they know little or nothing about.  Fact is I
could afford "try" TM at $75 back in 1973, it was not going to break
me.  But $4000 or whatever it is going for nowadays would be a different
matter.  I have also done my homework and know there are plenty of other
techniques out there that are just as good if not better for a fraction
of the cost.  That homework involved not only learning to teach and
teaching TM but teaching these other techniques.  Plus a little travel
to India helped to get rid of any preconceived notions about Indian
philosophy.  MMY has done a good job of marketing to snare a few into
believing that TM is all that unique or special.  But that's all it is,
just marketing hype.

- Bhairitu