--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, a_non_moose_ff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
[SNIP]
> > anon2 replies (directed at TurqoiseB):
> > What I was trying to convey was some explanation for why your
> > efforts failed to help the person you were attempting to help.

a_non_moose_ff:
> HAHAHAHA. Now thats funny.

anon2:
For some reason, this response gave me a warm, fuzzy feeling - nice
to know that I produced laughter in you. Didn't feel attacked in the
least. Even though my comment wasn't intended to be funny.

I am inclined to wonder about motivations. Is this person
(TurqoiseB) making a joke so as to be more appreciated by the
regular FFL readers, or making a joke because he thinks it will help
the person being laughed at to grow (e.g. let go of intellect), or
making a joke to think better of himself, or making a joke to put
down someone else, or ...?

The idea that this was about helping someone else to grow came from
TurqoiseB's own examples of how "enlightened" masters make fun of
their students to help them to laugh a little more at themselves,
and, presumably to grow as a result. And the Nose Glasses story - an
interesting management approach.

Anyway, if I were sincerely trying to help someone, and I found out
it wasn't working, I would try a different tactic, rather than argue
with the person and/or interested bystanders about why it should
have worked, and isn't everyone else just so dumb not to realize
this.

Another question that comes to mind: When is it appropriate to
attempt to help someone who hasn't come to you seeking your wisdom
or your help?

And another: How much of the conversation on FFL is really about
helping, sharing etc.? Some of it is, certainly.

anon2