--- Irmeli Mattsson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> There is a little booklet written by a Finnish
> clergyman Raimo Mäkelä.
> He has been working for the Finnish Established
> Church. The title of
> the book would be in English something like : "The
> healthy mind as a
> mask." It was published in 2001.
>
> There he describes  a certain personality type,
> which he calls the
> psychopath, or the narsissistic personality. His
> view is, apparently
> through his own difficult experiences, that people
> with this disorder
> abound inside the Churches, and also in important
> positions there.
>
> He sees the only way to avoid abuse and damage done
> by these people to
> be to learn to recognize those people, and not
> letting them get in
> leading positions. And if they have gotten in those
> positions and you
> recognize having one as your boss, it would be
> better to leave.
>
> He has written the concise booklet in order to
> improve people's
> discrimination in this respect. Many people have
> told the book was for
> them a real eye-opener. Almost everyone of us has
> experienced at some
> point serious frustration, or felt having been used,
> by people with
> those characteristics.
>
> These people most probably continue to exist, and
> they have very
> strong cravings for being seen as superior and for
> power. Because this
> condition is very common, I personally am suspicious
> of every person,
> who has created him/herself a situation, where
> he/she is seen as a
> superior being, whose actions are beyond our
> capacity of judgement.
> I'm also very suspicious of everyone, who has
> created himself a
> saintly image.
>
> In Finnish the word for saint is "pyhimys". It is
> very close to the
> Finnish word "ylimys", wich means aristrocrat. The
> word "ylimys" is
> derived from the adjective "ylimielinen", which
> describes someone who
> considers himself to be superior to others and so he
> doesn't respect
> the others.
>
> Irmeli

The old addage by Nietzsche, "Power corrupts and
absolute power corrupts absolutely." I wonder how many
of those who abuse their power by using others to
gratify their own desires start out that way? Perhaps
the temptation is so great and the resistance so low
by the "object' that it is near impossible to resist.

http://cnnstudentnews.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0601/19/pzn.01.html

> [...]
> > members led by the influential Bishop Earl Paulk.
> >
> > BISHOP EARL PAULK, CHAPEL HILL HARVESTER CHURCH: I
> want you to
> praise God
> > with us today.
> >
> > BREWER: He had a -- a fresh word from God every
> time he came to the
> pulpit,
> > which was several times a week. And it was
> amazing, you know, that
> God spoke
> > to him such -- on such a frequency. And we were
> taught that spiritual
> > authority was -- your level of spiritual authority
> was according to, you
> > know, your revelation from God, or the things that
> God revealed to a
> person.
> > And he was -- we were taught he was a prophet and
> an apostle in the
> church.
> >
> > MATTINGLY: Mona says she came to view Paulk, a
> married father and
> > grandfather, as a holy messenger of the lord
> selected by God to
> speak for
> > the almighty. And, over time, Bishop Paulk's
> church became her life.
> Mona
> > became a teacher in the church school, a soloist
> in the church
> choir. And,
> > at age 27, she even married an associate church
> pastor, a union
> blessed by
> > Paulk himself, a man she believed so close to God
> that his words
> could never
> > be questioned.
> >
> > BREWER: There were signs on the walls at the
> church. They didn't put
> > scriptures on the wall. They put his sayings, his
> quotations. And one of
> > them was, "The kingdom of God is built in trust."
> And we were taught
> that we
> > were to trust our spiritual authority, and we were
> taught not to
> question
> > it.
> >
> > MATTINGLY: And so it went for years, Mona says,
> until, one day,
> Paulk asked
> > for a meeting with her. It was a request that left
> her both elated and
> > curious.
> >
> > BREWER: I was just overwhelmed, because that was
> such a great
> opportunity.
> > Nobody got to do that. I mean, he was awesome. I
> mean, everybody
> wanted to
> > talk to him. And he just invited me to his office
> to talk to him for
> a few
> > minutes. And that was really incredible.
> >
> > (MUSIC)
> >
> > MATTINGLY: She says this man she respected so
> much, it turns out,
> had been
> > moved by her singing and wanted to take her to a
=== message truncated ===

http://mail.yahoo.com