--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Irmeli Mattsson"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Peter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> > The old addage by Nietzsche, "Power corrupts and
> > absolute power corrupts absolutely." I wonder how many
> > of those who abuse their power by using others to
> > gratify their own desires start out that way? Perhaps
> > the temptation is so great and the resistance so low
> > by the "object' that it is near impossible to resist.
>
> ****
> This is most certainly part of the truth. But it doesn't
> explain why the abusers often resort to very tricky
> manipulations and lies in order to get what they want?

You haven't specified any examples of what you consider
"tricky manipulations."  Please do so.

> In spite of their positions the abuse is
> usually not easily done with open cards.

In a spiritual context, I'm going to have to disagree
with you. In almost every case I've ever seen of abuse
of power by someone in a position of authority in a
spiritual context, they really didn't have to work
very hard to "deceive" anyone. The victims were lining
up right and left, ready and willing to be fleeced,
because their own desires were being pandered to.

For example, if you delve into cases of a spiritual
teacher sleeping with a student, in almost *every*
case what you'll find -- in addition to a teacher who
couldn't keep his dick in his pants -- is a student
who felt flattered at being seduced or actively par-
ticipated in the seduction because it makes her feel
more "special."  The teacher may be telling the
student a few lies to get into her pants, but the
student in most cases *wants* to hear those lies. It's
a cooperative effort, a symbiosis of mutual deception.

> It is not just a candy you can take almost by mistake,
> when your attention is somewhere else. Lot's of planning,
> hiding and lies are needed.

Again, I disagree completely. I think this is just an
attempt to make the teachers the bad guys and the
students the poor, innocent victims. I would suggest
that in many if not most cases the "victim" was per-
fectly happy to be lied to as long as they felt more
special than people outside the group or than other
students within the group.  It's just human nature,
and teachers merely take advantage of it.