> The thing that's fascinating to me is the "trickle-
> down craziness" involved with this. It's not just a
> case of some lazy fucks realizing that there is an
> easy way to avoid working, and that it's called
> begging. That's just one side of the phenomenon and
> of the conditioning.
>
> The other side of the conditioning is seen in the
> *sponsors*, the people who have been taught that
> there is some *benefit* to themselves that accrues
> when they pay so that these guys and gals never have
> to work.  It's a remarkably symbiotic relationship;
> one side of the equation couldn't exist without
> the other.
>
> I know that a lot of people here and in spiritual
> trips in general just assume that this is all a given,
> and that it's always worked this way -- people who
> have chosen a full-time spiritual "career" being
> supported by those who have money and have chosen
> a more householder path.  I'm challenging the very
> *idea* because I really believe that it's a *bad*
> idea, and that most of the problems that one can
> find in *any* spiritual tradition spring from this
> assumption, and from this practice. Historically,
> the spiritual traditions in which the monks or
> clergy pay their own way in life, and are *not*
> supported by the "rank and file" members of the
> organization, seem to me to be much cleaner and
> spiritually healthier.
>
> Just *think* about it for a moment -- it's one of
> the biggest scams in human history. In almost every
> era and in every tradition, all that you had to do
> to avoid getting a job like everybody else was to
> claim to be "spiritual" and get other people to pay
> so that you could be "spiritual" full time.  I'm
> open to the possibility that many of these full-time
> teachers might have done a few nice things for the
> world, but when you look at it objectively, it's
> really quite amazing that no one really challenges
> the status quo of this whole scene and questions
> it.  The meme of the rank-and-file rabble paying
> for the lives of the spiritual elite is that
> taken for granted, that ingrained in the collective
> consciousness.

****
This is healthy questioning.

The kind of giving where you buy yourself a good conscience and a
better feeling of yourself by the giving, makes me feel quite
uncomfortable. It could be healthy to ask oneself: why do I need to
buy myself a good conscience?

A lot of developmental aid has been given to the developing countries,
but how much has it really helped those people? Look at Africa? Could
it be worse without the aid and interfering in the lives of those
people by westerners in the name of charity.

I am all for support for the poor and weak. Unfortunately this support
often comes in a form that makes it possible for people to continue
with the attitudes and lifestyle that has made them poor and weak.
Basically the same applies for spiritual people.

The idea of people in spiritual organizations living luxurious lives
through actively collecting support money feels disgusting. Even more
disgusting feels the present trend in many organizations to collect
money to charity purposes and then actually use at least part of that
money to empire building for your organization and your own luxurious
life.

Mother Theresa is often seen as an epitome of selfless giving. But was
she really? She also powerfully preached against birth control. In
other words she actively contributed to the situation that a lot of
children are born to unbearable life-conditions. And then she created
herself a halo by bringing a little bit relief to a few of those
unfortunate beings.
I have heard that Indian government doesn't like the work of her
organization, because it attracts poor people to the big cities, which
increases the problems of the slums. These people would be better off
in their villages.

We send food aid to people in hunger. And what is the result? These
people breed like rabbits. The number of people living in unbearable
conditions multiplies. And no incentive appears for them to change
their values and attitudes and lifestyle, that has lead to their
present  problems.

Of course I feel also bad about the idea of not helping those people.
But open and honest evaluation of the situation may help in developing
better means to help. And it may help in discriminating between the
help organizations.

I myself believe at the moment that the best way to help developing
countries is, when governments  give money to those governments in
developing countries that do good work. And the private help
organizations should at least try to co-operate with the governments
of the developing countries.

Irmeli