When I first chanced on FFL it seemed 'gentlemanly' if you can excuse
the non-PC term. Nowadays, it is an alley where one has to beware of
who might be about. Although it appears that there are more posts
nowadays, this is something of an illusion, since there is now an
anything-goes mentality whereas then there seemed to be more self-
discipline and a higher standard of debate. Slanging matches might
have their value but when they become routine they are offensive.

> on 1/31/06 8:16 PM, wayback71 at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>

> > Nicely put, Michael.  It seems to me that much of FFL is a
different place
> > than it was a few
> > years ago. There are wonderful discussions, good laughs, and such
knowledgable
> > people
> > here.  But I skip many of the posts these days because they are
so hostile -
> > from a subset
> > of people looking to engage each other by jumping on a word's
implied meaning,
> > an
> > assumed criticism, the personality or character of someone
they've never met,
> > on and on.
> > I'm not sure why they are here on FFL at all.  Why not email each
other on the
> > side or
> > better yet, just call each other on the phone and work out
these "issues" and
> > conflicts
> > between each other, rather than taking up space on FFL?  The tone
of this kind
> > of stuff is
> > "off," unpleasant, and it feels as if a portion of FFL has been
hijacked.

> I agree. I don't get this "hostility on the Internet" thing. Would
the
> people who behave this way here do so face to face? Maybe, if they
had been
> married 10 years and it wasn't working out, but otherwise, I'll bet
they're
> a lot more cordial in "real life" than they are on the Net, or at
least I
> hope so. Amma always says that anger is like a knife without a
handle that's
> sharp on both ends - it injures the attacker as much as the person
being
> attacked. I know that when I spew negativity on someone, I feel
polluted
> afterwards. And upon reflection, I realize that I'm just lashing
out against
> my own flaws, mirrored back to me by the person I'm attacking. Can
a sincere
> spiritual aspirant habitually indulge in negative behavior?
Wouldn't their