On Feb 2, 2006, at 7:54 PM, doctor_gabby_savy wrote:

And if we are to believe conventional wisdom (tales from MMY), SBS

gave MMY a path for householders -- world wide. Presumably this was

not the mainstream things he taught his monks to do,  nor devout hindu

 audiences.

In spending a good amount of time with some of the western swamis who were all initiated by the Shankaracharya of the south I can tell you none of these people were using mantras for meditation--they were all doing a higher form of meditation to quickly realize Brahman.