Curiously, amongst the old Indian laws are verses which are not
really laws at all, verses which have just slipped into common
parlance.

I quote MMY:-
Many people say, 'I am truthful and that's why people dislike me
because I say something on their face.' Truth is not characterized by
whips. If you say a truth, fine that the truth is there, but it
should have some sweetness to it.

Manu said - Manu, the first law-giver to human race - Manu he said,
about speech he said Satyam bruyaat, priyam bruyat, na bruyat satyam
apriyam' - 'Speak the truth, speak that is sweet, don't speak the
truth that is not sweet.' Not that you can take liberty with truth
and massacre the whole field of behaviour. The truth, simple, natural
which is supporting life, which is nourishing life. Truth is always
life-supporting if it is really truth but it must come from a melted
heart and not from a very unconcerned mind.254

This statement is dynamite! Certainly it would not go down in the
courts of justice where truths are frequently revealed which are far
from sweet. Strangely enough, the Maharishi, had himself told only
half the truth about this very verse for it continues with the words:

'Priyam cha na anritam pruuyaat esah dharmah sanatanah.' In the
Penguin Classic version of The Laws of Manu the verse (in its
entirety) is translated with an altogether different emphasis:
A man should tell the truth and speak with kindness; he should not
tell the truth unkindly nor utter lies out of kindness. This is a
constant duty.255

Furthermore the translators ascribe this work (known variously as
Manu, Manusmritti or Manu Samhita) to no one author:
The Laws of Manu, like all other works we have from the ancient
period of India, was composed by members of the social class (varna)
called Brahmins or 'Priests'. Indeed, the text is not only by priests
but to a large extent for priests. 256

Excerpt from chapter 19 of 'The Maharishi' © Paul Mason 2005
http://www.paulmason.info/themaharishi/mmych19.htm