> But timing and tact require leaders to tread delicately as to what
> is appropriate to say at what time.

This is what she did. She said that it's not good to hurt religious
feelings.

> Trying to understand why a murderer does what he does is not, in my
> opinion, appropriate at the time that the murders ARE STILL TAKING
> PLACE.  What is appropriate at that time is other words and other
> guidance.

The insult of the cartoons is to all muslims. Ammachi speaks about the
impact of these on the muslims in general. What's the reason that you
equate them with murderers? Why do you bring those cases up, who react
in the wrong way, to justify the cartoons, who insult all muslims, by
mocking at their idol as a terrorist?

There is no reason to insult anybodies religion - be it a majority or
a minority.(I don't know why this even needs to be discussed) There is
even no reason to insult someones religion, even though he may be one
of these misguided persons, who are terrorists. You may insult their
actions, but not their religion.

If Ammachi asks to respect religious feelings of the muslims, she is
indeed NOT putting gasoline into the fire. To ask for a reconcilary
attitude is very appropriate action. So, she is right on, and I think
it would be good if all religious leaders react in a similar way.
AFAIK the pope said something similar.