> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "jim_flanegin" <jflanegi@>
> wrote:
> > >
> > > I'm not arguing that there aren't charlatans out
> > > there; there are. But even the charlatans may teach
> > > valuable stuff, just as the "real" teachers may
> > > teach garbage. The key to me seems to lie in
> > > preserving that tendency to evaluate each thing
> > > that one's teacher says on its own merit, here and
> > > now, in real-time, *without regard for* the things
> > > the teacher may have said in the past.
> > >
> > > Easier said than done. We're all creatures of
> > > habit, and tend to take the easy path rather
> > > than the one that requires a little effort.
> > >
> > Agreed. Spiritual growth is no different than our
> > body's growth. First, we need the teacher like a
> > parent and unquestioningly follow what they say.
> > And we look for that parental figure to guide us. (I
> > personally never followed a teacher for more than
> > a day if I didn't sense they were right for me.)
> >
> > Then I continued to follow Maharishi as a child
> > follows his parent. Until it was clear by the
> > direction I was taking this was no longer possible.
> > Then it was time to leave home, to go Home.
> >
> > Bye, bye Baby, bye bye...
>
> Yup. And in my book, the real "test" of the teacher
> is how gracefully or non-gracefully they deal with
> someone moving on when they feel it is their time
> to move on. Some handle this well, and others...well
> they sometimes declare the "unfaithful" devotee an
> apostate and treat him or her like shit. Think
> Chopra, or how people who found other teachers
> tend to be treated by TMTBs.

So how is Chopra treated by the TMO? The offical word was that Chopra
let himself get tired and decided to move on. Since he no longer
supports teh TMO, the TMO no longer supports him. They wish him well
and no doubt he will succeed quite well in whatever he choses to do
next.

Example of one recertified teacher's attitude towards Chopra: I
mentioned him in a conversation with Denise Deniston's husband a few
days ago and he said something along the lines of "He's the
Danvantari."

That's a disrespectful, hateful attitude if I ever heard one.

> One of the things I've come to look for in spiritual
> trips is whether there are any "graduates." That is,
> if the organization preaches enlightenment, is any-
> one *allowed* to be openly enlightened? Are they
> *accepted* as enlightened by the teacher, and
> encouraged to teach? Or (more common) are they
> treated as if they've done something wrong?
>
> It's an issue to be aware of...

In the context of TM, why? The TMO has a specific set of [ever-
changing] goals. While many people may be attached to the
organization and/or the goals, the TMO generally turns a blind eye
on "apostates" unless they continue to use the brand-
name "Transcendental Meditation" after their legal right to use the
name has been rescinded. Given the overall purpose of the TMO, this
is not only to be expected, but it would be inconsistent for the TMO
NOT to strive to continue to control the brand-name.