> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Michael Dean Goodman
> <Tantra@> wrote:
> >
> > Dear Fairfield Lifers,

> > the TM course fee [Why does T/M cost so much to join? A
> > little help?], I'll re-post my controversial essay from
> > a few years ago.  I first posted it on this list...
>
> Since reposts are in vogue, here's a repost of one
> of mine, somewhat shorter than Michael's:
>

> I entered "learn to meditate" into Google and checked
> what it costs to learn, from the first page of sites
> found that listed prices:
>
>  1. $0 -- the techniques are provided on the website.
>  2. $1.65 to $10.85 -- it's a book, sold through Amazon.
>  3. $59.90 -- a home study course (Yogananda tradition).
>  4. $0 -- instruction provided online, MP3s of talks
>     provided for free, week-long in-residence retreats
>     that include room and board for $295.
>  5. $0 -- instruction provided online.
>  6. $69 to $169 per day -- in-residence instruction that
>     includes room and board from Shambhala Mountain Center.
>  7. $11.95 -- book.
>  8. $0 -- instruction provided online.
>  9. $4.95 -- book.
> 10. $10.95 -- book.
> 11. $0 -- Vipassana tradition, free classes.
> 12. $0 -- instruction provided online.
> 13. $2500 -- the first TM-related site,
>     http://www.tm.safire.com/
> 14. $0 -- instruction provided online (Australian).
> 15. $240 -- six-hour course in Stamford, CT.
> 16. $88 to $122 -- London Buddhist Center (4-week course).
>
> Does one stand out from the rest?

Yeah, the one that I've tried and know that it works...AND has over
30 years and hundreds of research to back it up.

As far as I'm concerned the whole issue of cost is irrelevant.  For
goodness sake's, if each of us were to earn minimum wage for each
hour that we spend on this forum, we'd have had enough to buy four
TM initiations...