--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick Gillam"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >>  somebody wrote:
> >>
> > > Did you do TM before you tried
> > > the other
> > > techniques? If yes, might this have helped your
> > > results?
> >
> > gullible fool:
> >
> > Yes, I did TM for twenty years before I got involved
> > with any other techniques. ...
> >
> > I'm sure it helped my results, but there are students
> > in their twenties who are reaching basic awakening
> > through VortexHealing, with maybe doing nothing prior
> > to VortexHealing than being an Amma devotee for a few
> > years. For me, it's been 32 years of spiritual work.
> > Maybe I should have incarnated in 1980 instead of in
> > 1954. :)
>
> The premise of TM is that it enriches all areas of life
> because it "enlivens" the substrate of life, pure
> consciousness. We don't notice consciousness is
> missing because it's flat and featureless. Maharishi
> said this is the one experience that's missing; add
> it, and you'll benefit. And that's pretty much what
> most of us have experienced.
>
> Peter Sutphen has posited that most TMers are
> saturated with that flat awareness to the point
> that they're ripe to bursting if given a practice
> that "pulls it out," so to speak. The sidhis do
> that to an extent, but many seem to profit from
> something else.
>
> If this premise is true, it would make sense that
> anything we do after doing TM would bring
> noticeable results. Those results might make
> TM look bad, but remember that TM brings
> flatness, not flash.
>
> I've mentioned here before about how a TM
> teacher at the Iowa City Center back in the
> day, Susan Isaacs, once commented about
> how flat everything is. There was a reason
> for that.
>
> As for non-TMers getting great results from
> Vortex Healing, or whatever: if the notion of
> collective consciousness is valid, and collective
> consciousness is on the rise as even non-TMers
> say it is, people who pursue spiritual and self-
> development practices today will get better results
> than those of us who learned back in the day.
>
> I was always impressed by and envious of people
> who'd learn TM from me in the '80s and early '90s,
> the last times I taught, because their experiences
> were so textbook clear. Those people really
> demonstrated to me the validity of collective
> consciousness theories.
>
> In summary, I think it's great that all these practices
> other than TM are generating such great results for
> people. I'd like to get me some of those myself. But
> I don't consider those results to negate the value of
> TM. On the contrary, for the reasons above, those
> great results could be construed as validating
> Maharishi's premise that everything gets better with
> TM, and that his programs contribute to a rise in
> collective consciousness.

I haven't practised other mental techniques but I do go to Iyengar
Yoga classes.  I get such incredible results that when in class I
assume that all the other students are "flying high" as I am.  But
on questioning them I find that, yes, they are getting relaxation,
etc. but, no, not to the degree I get.

I am convinced that it is the TM that supplements and enhances my
hatha yoga experience.  I experience it as an excellerant (sic?)
that makes the yoga practise 200% more effective.

TM is VERY compatible with other religious and spiritual practises
and, indeed, can be viewed as the fulfillment of them or, say,
their "missing link".