--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, gullible fool <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Bob Ferguson told this story at the Wellesley TM
> Center back in the mid-70s, except the disciple was
> not Guru Dev and the disciple did not come to a
> satsang to convey what he meant. Considering Bob's
> memory of this story was likely pretty fresh thirty
> years ago, I'll go with Bob's version.

The tale also has its counterpart in Tibetan tradition,
with an entirely different set of characters. Good
stories tended to be...uh...borrowed and...uh..."recast"
in different spiritual traditions similar to how people
remake movies. It's good to see that this trend endures. :-)

Personally, I found that the most telling thing in MDG's
rant ( parts of which I finally read because so many
people were so ga-ga about it :-) was the seemingly
one-to-one relationship of "defense of bhakti" with the
strong, almost agressive assertion that something *other*
than the ego is "in charge" of action and the functioning
of the universe, and that the ego is *separate* from that
"other" that runs the universe. Seems awfully dualistic
to me.

The oft-repeated theme is that one cannot "trust" the
self, and that therefore one must put one's trust only
in the Self. But the *assumption* underlying this is
that self is false, an illusion, *not* a legitimate
aspect of Self. In other words, the self is not
"really" the Self...Self is "other."

I honestly think that if you scratch the surface, you
will find that many people who embrace the bhakti path
really believe in some concept of God and a form of
predestination, in which "they" (the ego or self) don't
really act, only "it" (the Self, God, whatever) does.
It is a belief in "God the Other," something *other*
than their localized self being the doer, with their
individual self cast as inherently flawed and imperfect
and, essentially, lower than the lint in a snake's navel.  :-)

Therefore, having this belief as a *foundation* for
their view of the universe, they naturally choose *not*
to identify with or put their trust in something they
despise (them-selves, the ego), but in something "other"
or "not the self" that they can idealize and put up on
a pedestal (God, the Self, the guru).

It's just a theory, but I think it's worth pondering.
The bottom line of MDG's rant, if you analyze it,
is that the self is BAD, a "thief," and that only
the Self is good. That's certainly an interesting
take on Unity, n'est-ce pas?  Seems to me that his
position could be synopsized as, "I hate my self,
therefore I put all my faith and trust in something
*other* than my self. And if you don't do the same,
there is something wrong with you...I feel 'com-
passionately sad' for you."  :-)