> > > Heh. I wouldn't blame TM, but only the insular environment
> > > where they are living.
> >
> > I'm not convinced. The same mindset has been present
> > in *every* TM environment I've ever lived or worked
> > in, including the centers and administrative offices
> > in the heart of Los Angleles. One can create an 'island'
> > anywhere if one wants to.
> >
> > The question for me is whether this mindset is the
> > result of TM per se or the effect of decades of
> > indoctrination in "Don't focus on the negative."
> > I don't know.
>
> Since I've been practicing TM for 30+ years and been in various
> enviornments where emergencies are contrived to happen (e.g.
> USAF/NATO exercises) I can assure you it's the lack of
> experience/practice with emergencies. The military spends a LOT of
> time and money training people to know what to do "under fire."
> The TMO doesn't.

The TMO, in fact, trains people in the *opposite*,
that they will become 'in tune' with the 'laws of
nature,' and thus nothing bad will ever happen. I
still think that *this* is the problem. Not only
were these people not trained in how to react to
such a situation, they didn't want to *believe* it
was happening. Rather than deal with it, they tried
their best to make it 'go away' and *not* deal with
it. I'm afraid that this attitude will continue at
MUM, no matter what policies are implemented or
what training is provided. This myth of being
'invincible' due to the power of TM and the siddhis
is part and parcel of the TMO teaching and its
environments. The first reaction to a bad situation
happening is always going to be, "This isn't really
happening, because it *can't*. These kinds of things
just aren't supposed *to* happen."

I'm actually somewhat surprised MUM had insurance.
It must be a legal requirement for a school in Iowa.
If the MUM administrators actually believe the stuff
they've been told by Maharishi and that they repeat
themselves, they would tend to believe that there is
no *need* for insurance of this sort, because nothing
bad can ever happen to people who have the 'laws of
nature' supporting them.

A quick look around at the number of TMers in Fair-
field who get sick, have accidents, and even commit
suicide would tend to challenge this belief. But
when has reality *ever* challenged a belief on
which one has based one's entire life?