--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, cardemaister <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, cardemaister <no_reply@>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "sparaig" <sparaig@>

<no_reply@>

> > form of
> > > >

> > > In aSTânga-yoga pratyâhâra is before dhâraNâ and dhyânam,
> > > but IMO in TM pratyâhâra usually "happens" after one has
> > > meditated for a while.
> > >

> > Well, MMY has always claimed that people have reversed the order
in
> > which things are practiced in the Yoga Sutras... What is
pratyâhâra
> > again?
> >

> II 54
>
> sva-viSayaasaMprayoge citta-svaruupaanukaara
> ivendriyaaNaaM pratyaahaaraH
>
> sva-viSaya (their) own-object(s)
> asaMprayoge  not coming into contact
> citta (of) the individual mind's
> sva-ruupa  own form; nature
> anukaaraH  the imitating or functioning according to
> iva  as if; like
> indriyaaNaam  by the senses
> pratyaahaaraH  abstraction
>
> Taimni's translation:
>
> Pratyaahaara or abstraction is, as it were, the
> imitation  by the senses of the mind by withdrawing
> themselves from their objects.

Wow. That's a toughee to wrap my poor little brain around.

I think "imitation" is a bad use there because it involves, in
English at least, the very term that is being defined.

Perhaps: abstraction is a function of the senses in the mind when
they are withdrawn from the original object of perception.