> Just to provide a little perspective (IMO *needed*
> perspective) on the Beatles and their relative impor-
> tance in the universe, a fairly recent poll by one of
> the music mags (I think the name of the mag was Mojo
> but I don't know...a musician friend told me about it)
> among teenagers found that over half of them had no
> idea how many people were in the band and couldn't
> name even one song that the Beatles had recorded.

Actually I made a similar poll with a friend of mine, 10 years younger
than me, not really interested in pop music at all. He would at best
be able to name only one song when asked. But when I started to sing
Beatle tunes to him, it turned out he knew more than ten. He was
surprised himself.

> IMO, the *sound* of the Beatles' songs doesn't "hold
> up" over time. (As opposed to the lyrics and the
> melody, which do.)

And that's one of their strong points really, especially the melody.

> It's because of the mix -- too
> much treble and not enough bass by today's standards.
> As a result, a lot of kids raised on "today's standards"
> can't force themselves to listen to the music. Because
> of the mix, the Beatles' music sounds as ancient to
> them as listening to 78s would sound to those of us
> who grew up with the mixes of the 60s.

How could it be otherwise? I never was interested in Elvis, but the
Beatles still were. Btw. Paul just got an award for his latest album
in Hollywood, and the best song of this album is a very simple song,
which he calles the little brother of 'Blackbird', basically just with
acoustic guitar and voice, but I think its one of his best songs ever.