> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, anon_couscous_ff <no_reply@>
> wrote:
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, t3rinity <no_reply@> wrote:
> <snip>
> > > I was investigating the Satsang movement in the context of its
> > > historic origin,
> >
> > which is good to do
> >
> > > while you mix it with Zen Buddhism and Tibetan
> > > Vajrayana. Now that is weird.
> >
> > well, the discussion has been on "modern" neo-statangs, the FF
> > satsang, and pirmarily, IMO, posts on FFL.
>
> I could be mistaken, but I think trinity may be
> referring to a specific Satsang movement, while
> others are using the term more broadly.

Satsang in general means 'being together (sangha) in Truth (Sat)' and
as such is not specific to Advaita. For example members of the
devotional Radhasoami group are called Satsanghis. I refer to the term
in the sense of the Satsang movement which has established itself in
the west, with teachings that refer more specifically to Ramana
Maharshi, especially as popularized by HWL Poonja, or Nisargadatta,
that is teachers of pure Non-Duality, who usually see themselves as
being in the line of Ramana and Poonja. There are also some other
reference-points like Jean Klein, the teachings of Krishnamurty etc.
My point is, that these people, like Gangaji see themselves in the
lineage of Advaita of Ramana (or Nisargadatta like Ramesh) and teach a
form of sudden awakening, which has a very specific background in the
Indian tradition. (of course sudden enlightenment also exists in
Buddhism) But the satsang movement, as I know it, uses Advaita of
Ramana and therefore Shankara as a reference point, and here Satsang
has a special value in the Advaita methology, like I pointed out:
Shravana, Manana and Nididhyasana -Hearing, reflecting and
contemplating Truth. As such it is not just a 'sharing of experiences'
for the possible sake of aggrendizing the ego of the Satsang giver,
no, there is a certain methology and teaching, which leads to
self-enquiry, plus the affirmation of the ultimate truth as in the
Mahavakyas. All this is rather obvious. Some people here are just
pissed about the call of the Satsang givers, to give up seeking, to
rather look at the truth which is there right now.

In this there IS a definite difference to Buddhism and also to other
Hindu teachings like Tantra, which get rather mixed up with Vaj.
Shankara himself wrote volumes against the Buddhists, so when Vaj
gives old 'prophecies' from Buddhism, and applies it to the modern
outgrowth of a competing tradition, it is just odd.

For example, he always speaks of 'tests of enlightenment' but in
traditional Advaita there are no such tests. The whole point of the
Shankara's (higher) teaching is the truth of non-duality itself, and
that is to be affirmed at any cost. The question of realization is not
in the forefront, that is the teaching which leads to it. Thats my
whole point. I am not here to declare all Satsang-givers to be
perfectly or ultimately enlightened, but they provide a context with
which to contemplate the ultimate Truth.