--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, anon_couscous_ff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> > Even Shankara himself stated that there
> > cannot be a practise to 'achieve' enlightenment, only the Self can
> > realize itself.
>
> Which is a statement for "teaching" but is not Truth. Its pretty funny
>  indeed.  The Self wakes up and realizes ItSelf??? So the Self was
> sleeping before??? haha.

Okay, let me rephrase it: Only the Self can recognize Itself, that is
shine upon itself, it does not need another lamp to shed light on it,
it is the light. The question now could be: Who awakenes? The Self is
already eternal and imutable, it doesn't need to awaken, and so is the
witnessing consciousness. It is therefore the I-consciousness, the
Jiva, the individualized soul which attains realization. This is the
conclusion of the ADVAITA BODHA DEEPIKA (lamp of non-dual knowledge -
by Karapatra Swami who condensed it out of the work of Shankara). It
is the Jiva who possesses knowledge or is ignorant. The Self and the
witness are already always free.

> CICI (Consciousness is Conscious of Itself) is eternal. Not an off/on
> phenomenon. What it is that "wakes up" locally to realize / know /
> experience that CICI maybe a mystery of sorts. Why do some humans
> realize IT, and a rock doesn't?

The individual soul, the jivan.

(For CICI in a rock just as much as in
> a human.) It at least in part is triggered by understanding / insight
> (though triggered by such, IT is not a mere understanding in itself)
> -- available to humans via the intellect, something not available to a
> rock. But the trigger and resulting living appreciation that CICI has
> nothing to do with Consciousness waking up or realizing itself -from a
> state of non-realization.)

The Self is the light behind all faculties, but it is itself imutable.
The Self doesn't need to get enlightened, but the Jiva does so, but
the light can only come from the Self itself, as it is the light
within the Jiva, the intellect, the intuition and all faculties. It is
itself unmoving, but causes everything to be moved.

> And this does open the door for an immediate trigger -- which could be
> via satsang, or reading statements of truth, or simply deep analysis
> and "figuring out" the insight/trigger. (And the stability of the
> post-trigger state may vary.)

Sure, there are many means. My point is not that you have to have
Satsang, or that Shravana has to have the form of literal listening.
And yet, this is an ancient format.