--- authfriend wrote:

> --- Gillam wrote:
> >
> > Apparently one big reason the U.S. is coming down so
> > hard on Iran is that if we don't do it, Israel will, and then
> > the world of Islam will *really* be pissed.
>
> Except that I've been reading that Israel doesn't think
> Iran is that much of a threat to it.

I got my impression from Seymour Hersch's article in this
week's New Yorker. Two excerpts:

Meir Dagan, the head of Mossad, Israel's intelligence agency, told the Knesset
last
December that "Iran is one to two years away, at the latest, from having
enriched uranium.
>From that point, the completion of their nuclear weapon is simply a technical
>matter."

A key ally with an important voice in the debate is Israel, whose leadership
has warned for
years that it viewed any attempt by Iran to begin enriching uranium as a point
of no
return. I was told by several officials that the White House's interest in
preventing an Israeli
attack on a Muslim country, which would provoke a backlash across the region,
was a
factor in its decision to begin the current operational planning. In a speech
in Cleveland on
March 20th, President Bush depicted Ahmadinejad's hostility toward Israel as a
"serious
threat. It's a threat to world peace." He added, "I made it clear, I'll make it
clear again, that
we will use military might to protect our ally Israel."

See http://tinyurl.com/hyfsf