--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Alex Stanley"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "mahdeealoo" <mahdeealoo@>
wrote:
> > In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "shempmcgurk" <shempmcgurk@>
wrote:
> > > But I have a question for you: Assuming for just a moment
> > > that these accusations were true, how would that change
> > > your practise of TM?
> >
> > Assuming that I still meditate, his personal life has nothing to
> > do with my spiritual development. Never has, never will.
>
> IMO, that's a very healthy attitude. All too often people set
> themselves up for severe disappointment when they put the spiritual
> teacher up on a pedestal and worship him/her as a superhuman
> God/Goddess.

Yup. And yet, even that is an interesting an often
necessary process. I think of it as dis-illusion-ment;
that is, putting yourself through a bunch of shit over
your *illusions* until the bubble bursts and you get over
them. One of my favorite quotes on this issue of putting
your teachers up on pedestals came from the Rama guy
I studied with:

  Pedestals were invented by a very wise man who
  perceived the need in human consciousness to
  cast people down. This wise man realized that
  it would be impossible to cast people down unless
  you had put them up on something first. So he
  invented the pedestal, which is now employed on
  a regular basis. You put people on it so you can
  cast them down later. Indeed, he was a wise man.