> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Sal Sunshine <salsunshine@>
wrote:

> > Exactly, you said it much better than I did.  It's not just fear
of the
> > rules, it's fear of the unknown,  capricious nature of how the
rules
> > are enforced and even what the rules might be from day-to-day.
> >
> > And Judy knows perfectly well that no store has "goons," no
committees
> > would be called,  the rules are posted for all to see, and are
usually
> > very few in number.  The comparison is ludicrous on a number of
levels.

> Pah. Yesterday, wearing no shoes, but otherwise wearing nornalish
clothing, a woman at a
> bookstore walked by me and informed me that next time I came in, I
wouldn't be welcome
> due to not wearing shoes. I casually mentioned this to the guy
behind the counter, who was
> appalled, and was apparenly calling the manager to have a
discussion with the woman (a
> long-term employee) as I left. Committees can go both ways on
confronting people
> concerning dress codes.

Lawson, you're coming in in the middle.  I was referring
to the stores and fast-food places in my shore town that
post signs telling you that you have to be wearing shoes
and a shirt to be admitted.

Sal's "goon" reference is disingenuous in context, for
several different reasons, but you'd have to go back
and read the thread to see why.  She and Rick were
doing a very fast ground-shifting dance.