<richardhughes103@> wrote:

> > :

> > > of the brain's *potential* (although it's hard to say
> > > how one would arrive at a specific percentage); but the
> > > notion that we use only 10 percent of the brain itself
> > > is simply inaccurate.
> > >

> > I read somewhere recently that we only use around 10% of our
brains at
> > a time because if every neuron fired at once we would keel over with
> > shock. The point was we don't use the SAME 10% all the time but vary
> > it according to what we are doing.
> >

> I'm not sure about this. My understanding is that neurons are always
at least a little active,
> firing-wise. Certainly, if you've ever watched a neuron, they're
always active, physically.
> Fred Travis gives the statistic that 70% of the connections of our
brain change every day. I
> don't know if the 70% figure is correct, but I think ANY
reconfiguration of connections is
> due to the neurons seeking the maximum level of input from the
surrounding neurons.

I've read that only a small portion of all possible neural connections
are used daily or ever used. What is it 100 billion neurons (ok I
lokked it up "10 billion - 1 trillion for  entire NS). With up to
10,000 possible connections per neuron. How many possible states? (You
do the math). How many do we use. Will ever use? How many does someone
on Brahaman use? (ONE! haha)

interesting simple site on brain
http://www.dana.org/pdf/brainweek/mindboggle.pdf