--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, new_morning_blank_slate <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "hugheshugo"
> <richardhughes103@> wrote:
> > >
> > > :

> > > I read somewhere recently that we only use around 10% of our
> brains at
> > > a time because if every neuron fired at once we would keel over with
> > > shock. The point was we don't use the SAME 10% all the time but vary
> > > it according to what we are doing.
> > >

> > I'm not sure about this. My understanding is that neurons are always
> at least a little active,
> > firing-wise. Certainly, if you've ever watched a neuron, they're
> always active, physically.
> > Fred Travis gives the statistic that 70% of the connections of our
> brain change every day. I
> > don't know if the 70% figure is correct, but I think ANY
> reconfiguration of connections is
> > due to the neurons seeking the maximum level of input from the
> surrounding neurons.
>

> I've read that only a small portion of all possible neural connections
> are used daily or ever used. What is it 100 billion neurons (ok I
> lokked it up "10 billion - 1 trillion for  entire NS). With up to
> 10,000 possible connections per neuron. How many possible states? (You
> do the math). How many do we use. Will ever use? How many does someone
> on Brahaman use? (ONE! haha)

I believe that all the existing connections are used constantly, but the least-used tend to
get pruned. The most used tend to become major branches. Major branches can get
pruned eventually, and even the most tenuous thread can become a major branch.

Someone in Brahman probably has a higher-than-average baseline activity level for all
connections. A well-defined cosmic hum of neural activity that includes portions of the
brain that aren't activated very much by simple TM practice, e.g., perceptual areas.