> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, new_morning_blank_slate
> <no_reply@> wrote:
> <snip>
> > My favorite all time joke, illustrative of the limits of science is
> > ... 63!!!
> >
> > For those who don'tremember 63, its the one where the drunk is
> > unsuccessfully looking for his car keys under the streetlamp. A
> > passerby asks whats the matter blah blah .. and then asks "well
> > where did you lose your kyes."
> >
> > "Over there said the drunk."
> >
> > "Well why are you looking for them here."
> >
> > The drunk answers, "The lights much better here."
>
> FWIW, this was originally one of the jokes told by
> the medieval Muslim sage Nasrudin, in which he
> frequently featured himself as something of a nitwit.
> They're actually koan-like teaching stories with several
> layers of meaning.

Wow!  I did not know that. Thank you for pointing him to me.

> The stories have gone through a number of incarnations.
> When I was growing up, we told them as jokes and called
> them "Little Moron stories."  In your version, Nasrudin
> has become a drunk.

any links to such?

> > Some use the light of science to look for stuff where science cannot
> > shine. (Nor the sun).
>
> Very nice use of that story!  I've also seen it used
> with regard to spiritual seeking.

Its what "shot out" the first time I heard it. In era I was at MUI SB.
I laughed quite hard. (still laughing, haha)

> Here's a neat one:
>
> The Guest of Honor
>
> The dervish Nasrudin

oh so its Sufi, -- something more specific than muslim -- I love sufi
stories and traditions. Though I probably blur somethings. Rumi was Sufi?

> entered a formal reception area and seated
> himself at the foremost elegant chair. The Chief of the Guard
> approached and said: "Sir, those places are reserved for guests of
> honor."
>
> "Oh, I am more than a mere guest," replied Nasrudin confidently.
>
> "Oh, so are you a diplomat?"
>
> "Far more than that!"
>
> "Really? So you are a minister, perhaps?"
>
> "No, bigger than that too."
>
> "Oho! So you must be the King himself, sir," said the Chief
> sarcastically.
>
> "Higher than that!"
>
> "Only Allah is higher than the King!"
>
> "I am more than that, too!"
>
> "What?! Are you higher than Allah?! Nobody is higher than Allah!"
>
> "Now you have it. I am nobody!" said Nasrudin.

haha. good one.

Reminds me of a favorite story of SSRS.
Which I just started to try to retell, but can't do justice to. maybe
others can. About series of king's ministers sent to check out saint.
Last minister, no ostentatious treatement "just the presence".

> From:
> http://lawnorder.blogspot.com/2005/08/nasrudin-wikibooks.html
>
> Here's one I remember from childhood:
>
> The little moron and a friend are walking down the
> railroad tracks.  All of a sudden, they come upon a
> human leg.
>
> "That looks like Joe's leg," the friend says.
>
> "It is Joe's leg!" the little moron says.
>
> They walk a little farther and find an arm.
>
> "By gum, that looks like Joe's arm," exlaims the friend.
>
> "It is Joe's arm!" says the little moron.
>
> They walk on.  Shortly they discover a head.
>
> "Oh, my God, that looks like Joe's head," says the friend.
>
> "It is Joe's head!" says the little moron.
>
> He picks it up by the ears and shakes it, crying,
> "Joe, Joe, are you hurt?"

haha