In a message dated 6/8/06 8:33:06 A.M. Central Daylight Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
Were there school systems established in America at the time
> of Jefferson or was he complaining about a "sect" taking over
> or buying out a school or group of schools in a particular
> location? I think free public education was very scarce if
> it existed at all during Jefferson's time, but I'm not sure.

I don't remember the details and don't have time to
look it up right now, but as I remember it was in
fact a school system in some county that was in danger
of having its curriculum taken over and run by a
Christian group, changing everything to a "proper
Christian education." Sorry I don't have the time
to research further, but here's the full letter.
Jefferson was not a man to pull his punches...
This would be in perfect keeping with what Jefferson said in regards to separation of church and state. The federal government would not adopt a specific denomination to impose over the other denominations. Baptists would fear Jesuits educating their children, many denominations would be upset with Quakers educating their children and the list would go on. Each region of the country had majorities that adhered to specific denominations and nobody wanted to have the  federal government take sides with one or have their children educated with a "proper Christian education" as defined by a specific denomination that the people in that region didn't agree with.