<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > Another wrinkle: what exactly does "able to do
> > the siddhis" actually mean in the context of
> > Unity consciousness?  Does it really mean "on
> > demand"?
>
> This ends up in the broader question of free will and determinism in
> general in any state of consciousness.  Nice point about the paradox.
>
> I recognize, and others have pointed out, that MMY is unique in his
> perspective of siddhis.  Many other teachers claim they are
> impediments to growth, or at lest distractions.

However, they frequently base this claim on
something Patanjali says, interpreting it as
a warning against practicing his siddhis
techniques.

There's a really good case to be made that it
isn't a warning at all but a technical description.

But that's a whole 'nother kettle of fish.

  But in his system
> they serve a much more interesting role for me.  They are indications
> that one has gained certain masteries over the laws of nature.

Per MMY (and others), we all have that already,
we just haven't realized it experientially.

But it's almost impossible to talk about without
sitting on one side of the paradox.

> think they are important to distinguish "higher" states from just a
> flowery description of what ordinary, aware people are walking around
> in every day.  Since he does demonstrate siddhis at their incomplete
> hopping level, I can't see why he would not show the real deal.  I
> think it was commendable of him to use the performance of siddhis as
> tests of consciousness.  It gives a falsifiable standard.
>
> Sometimes I think that it is the lower states of consciousness that we
> are forgetting about.  What I mean by this is that it is possible that
> the rishis were dealing with a population so ignorant that our modern
> awareness is the enlightened state.  I think any of our awarenesses
> could be described in the flowery language of the states of
> consciousness if we cared to see it that way.

That's an interesting point.  I'm not sure it's the case,
but it's certainly a novel idea!

  The only disctinciton
> we can put our finger on is the performance of supernormal abilities.
>  Otherwise maybe we all have the siddhis and nature has not needed us
> to show them?

And that's the *other* side of the paradox...

http://us.click.yahoo.com/_7bhrC/NGxNAA/yQLSAA/UlWolB/TM