--Thanks, I'll get back to you in about 2 hrs to copy more of the
article.  The idea that scientific inquiry could have a bearing on
free will is a new twist to me, since I thought it was solely a
philosophical question.  OTOH, Einstein and others were fascinated by
the question raised by Bishop Berkeley: is a tree "there" if nobody's
looking at it?  Of course, Einstein thought the whole idea was
abusurd; (the importance of an observer was emphasized a great deal by
his opponent, Neils Bohr; so Einstein brought up a new twist: is the
MOON there if nobody was looking at it?)  Einstein thought it
unnecessary to have an "observer" in the category of a human, for a
number of reasons. An alternative viewpoint, voiced by a recent
contributor, is that the universe Itself is the Observer; and this
proposal eliminates the need to have humans in a special favored
"place" in the universe (as opposed, to say...chimps, who also can
observe;, but if chimps, then why not other creatures like cockroaches?).
 I'm also planning on presenting some summaries of other recent
articles, from New Scientist and Scientific American; that tend to
support a basis for a "New, New, Physics" as opposed to the "New
Physics" propounded by MMY and a few other people during the 70's.
(specifically, such persons equated "Being" with some QM entity). This
attempt at equating the Unmanifest with something within the realm of
science, bombed; as we know; and such persons could have saved
themselves the trouble of promoting that false identity if they had
only paid more attention to the writings of the original quantum
pioneers such as Schroedinager, Bohr, Heisenberg, and DeBroglie. The
original pioneers already were aware of the possibility of equating
some QM "entity" (a field?) to the Unmanifest, but the notion was
rejected on the grounds that any such QM entity discovered so far is
strictly a relative phenomenon. OTOH, some QM principles may "point"
to the Unmanifest in some analogous way; but one must be careful about
proclaiming an actual identity when none is there.  There's always the
danger that noble intentions can cross the boundary into "Ignoble"
science, as Dr. Hagelin found out.(1994).

http://us.click.yahoo.com/mDk17A/lOaOAA/i1hLAA/UlWolB/TM