> What are mudras in general and the "Chin mudra" in particular?

mudrA f. (fr. %{mudra} see above) a seal or any instrument used for
sealing or stamping , a seal-ring , signet-ring (cf. %{aGguli-m-}) ,
any ring MBh. Ka1v. &c. ; type for printing or instrument for
lithographing L. ; the stamp or impression made by a seal &c. ; any
stamp or print or mark or impression MBh. Ka1v. &c. ; a stamped
coin , piece of money , rupee , cash , medal L. ; an image , sign ,
badge , token (esp. a token or mark of divine attributes impressed
upon the body) Ka1v. Pur. Ra1jat. ; authorization , a pass , passport
(as given by a seal) Mudr. ; shutting , closing (as of the eyes or
lips gen. or comp.) Ka1v. ; a lock , stopper , bung Amar. Bhpr. ; a
mystery Cat. ; *****N. of partic. positions or intertwinings of the
fingers***** (24 in number , commonly practised in religious
worship , and supposed to possess an occult meaning and magical
efficacy Das3. Sarvad. Ka1ran2d2. RTL. 204 ; 406) ; a partic. branch
of education (`" reckoning by the fingers "') DivyA7v. ; parched or
fried grain (as used in the S3a1kta or Ta1ntrik ceremonial) RTL.
192 ; (in rhet.) the natural expression of things by words , calling
things by their right names Kuval. ; (in music) a dance accordant
with tradition Sam2gi1t.

'chin' might be sandhi for 'chit'(in Harvard-Kyoto, etc: cit)

cit 1 mfn. ifc. `" piling up "' see %{agni-} , %{Urdhva-} , and %
{pUrva-ci4t} ; (Pa1n2. 3-2 , 92) forming a layer or stratum , piled
up VS. i , xii TS. i (cf. %{kaGka-} , %{karma-} , %{cakSuz-} , %
{droNa-} , %{prA7Na-} , %{manaz-} , %{rathacakra-} , %{vAk-} , %
{zyena-} , and %{zrotra-ci4t}.)
2 cit 2 mfn. ifc. `" knowing "' see %{Rta-ci4t} ; `" giving heed
to "' or `" revenging [guilt , %{RNa-}] "' see %{RNa-}.
3 cit 3 mfn. ifc. `" id. "' see 2. %{cit}.
5 cit 1. 2. 3 see 1. 2. 3. %{ci}.

7 cit 5 mfn. ifc. `" thinking "' see %{a-} , %{duz-} , %{manaz-} , %
{vipaz-} , and %{huraz-ci4t} ; cf. also %{apa-cit} ; f. thought ,
intellect , spirit , soul VS. iv , 19 KapS. Bhartr2. BhP. ; cf. %{sa-
} and [EMAIL PROTECTED] ; pure Thought (Brahma cf. RTL. p. 34) Veda7ntas.
Prab.