> [...]
> concluded
> > > that, although inferior to ECT, SKY > [Sudharshan Kriya Yoga]
> can be a
> > > potential alternative to drugs in melancholia as a first line
> > treatment."
> >

> > Actually ECT and hard-core psychiatric drugs have been shown to be
> > more effective than TM for severe depression and behavioral
> problems.
> > Not only more effective than, but actually required to subdue and
> > quell the problematic effects of TM practice and/or long rounding
> for
> > some.
> >
> > I know personally of at least one ECT case. 1972, a woman from a
> > prominent DC family, brother (and she) were teachers, required ECT
> for
> > severe depression and other problems. (Rick may remember her.)   TM
> > was not effective in treating the problems, and its practice may
> hve
> > exacerbated them, and even casued them.
> >
> > I have second-hand knowledge of a number or similar cases where TM
> > teachers, MIU students, or long-term meditators required
> > institutionalization -- or in some sad cases, committed suicide to
> end
> > the problems TM could not (and may have exacerbated).
> >
> > As far as drugs, I recall Dr Elliot regularly use Thorizine (sp),
> the
> > same drug used to calm really bad LSD experiences, to calm flipped-
> out
> > rounders on TTCs. Something TM could not cure. And in these cases,
> did
> > exacerbate.
> >
> > TMO policy even openly "acknowledges", by implication, that it is
> > ineffective in curing things treated by a therapist. Thus the ban
> on
> > people who have seen a therapist to go on sidhis or TTC courses.
> Even
> > going to a marriage counselor was grounds for rejection to courses.
> > Thus by implication, TM was deemed by its own leaders as
> ineffective
> > in treating even minor porblems. (In fact, going to a marriage
> > counselor may be a sign of health.)
> >
> > (That was the policy in the 70's, I am not sure of current status.
> > Possibly its even now stricter)
> >
> > So its not surprising that SKY was not as effective, but nearly so,
> > ast ECT in treating severe depression. Possibly the lesser side
> > effects, presumably, of SKY -- releative to ECT -- might make it a
> > worthy treatment option.
> >

> > Have any studies been done comparing TM and ECT?
> >

> *********************
>
> Very funny! Have you done any stand-up comedy gigs?
>
> The fact is that unstable and highly-stressed people can only do a
> little TM, maybe only ten minutes twice a day, and not in a group
> where the effects are amplified (this is why people in therapy were
> barred from courses). This does not mean that TM is no good,

and I hope you are not implying that I stated or implied such

> but
> rather that it is a powerful meditation technique that quickly
> introduces one to the deeper levels of the self, which naturally
> causes normalization of the system (similar to the release of stress
> seen in dreaming, which is enabled by the body's reaching deep
> stages of sleep).

But is unable to "cure or heal" certain maladies such as depression --
and long time meditators have had to revert to ECT.

And apparently unable to "cure or heal" what ever it is that causes
quite successful and accomplished couples to go to a marraige
counselor and thus be banned from courses.

> Just meeting an enlightened soul (which is very similar to meeting
> one's own self diving deep in TM) causes this process of
> normalization/unstressing, and people who experience this may, in
> their confusion, attribute the fault to the enlightened soul (just
> as some blame TM for their problems).

OK. Not exactly on point, but tangents are good. While not
proceletizing for any method, I have not seen such cause problems in
darshan around SSRS. Or Sri Kunyamari. Nor heard of such around Amma.
Are you suggesting weaker people are/ were attracted to be around MMY
when being in his presence was open.

> One of the more confused
> unstressors is Prof. Kai Druhl, who says that meeting Maharishi
> caused Druhl to experience "demonic oppression," but it's really
> just the same phenomenon that highly-stressed people like Druhl (who
> thinks he's a Christian) experienced when they met Jesus (who was
> accused of being demon-possessed by many ignorant people who were
> unable to bear His enlightening presence):
>
> http://tinyurl.com/ktr4l
>
> Druhl's account:
>
> http://www.thetruelight.net/personalstories/kaidruhl.htm
>

> Bob Brigante
> http://geocities.com/bbrigante

OK. Now back to the main point of my prior post, which you said was
laughable, TM is unable to "cure or heal" certain maladies such as
depression -- and long time meditators have had to revert to ECT.And
apparently TM is unable to "cure or heal" whatever it is that causes
quite successful and accomplished couples to go to a marraige
counselor -- and thus be banned from courses.

But I think TM is a great technique. I think back to my first
meditations, at 17, in the "Redwood Room" -- all gorgeous wood walls,
in the "new" Berkeley Channing center, and coming out, slowly. "Wow'.
Its been a good thing. It is a good thing. I wouldn't trade some of my
experiences around M. for anything.

But as I began to notice in 1967, the organization is a bit wacky --
picture Nat Goldhaber in boxer shorts, at the front reception desk,
yelling at someone (personal) on the phone, while people were showing
up for initiations. And a 1001 such recollections over the years. As a
a very sweet girl who devotely worked at the center in Asia I was
teaching in said, "TM is so so wonderful ... (you could see the bliss
dripping off of her) ...  but some of these things (policies) and the
things some teachers do, are so wrong."