> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, new.morning <no_reply@> wrote:
> > >
> > > I've never been to MySpace, and I'm sure
> > > it's fun, but just as an advisory, you
> > > should probably look into the agreement
> > > you signed to join up before posting any-
> > > thing there you might later want to publish
> > > yourself. The "fine print" says that MySpace
> > > (that is, Rupert Murdoch) owns the rights
> > > to anything posted there.
> >
> > That sounds odd. I am not challenging you, I am quite interested
> > in this. But I am a little skeptical. Where did you come across
> > this: from an article or blog that quoted the relevant parts of
> > the agreement? Or from some bar or dinner converstaion story /
> > punchline? Or other source?
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> It's been debated and talked about all over the Internet.
> I think I first saw it in a discussion forum started by
> the EFF (Electronic Frontier Foundation). Don't have time
> to look up the details right now; if you do, I'm sure a
> few Google clicks would find it for you. There is always
> the possibility that these sorts of things are an over-
> reaction or a hoax, but since the initial furor some
> months ago I have never seen any followup suggesting
> that this one is.

However, if you had gone to look at MySpace.com's Terms
of Service (link at the bottom of the home page), you'd
have known for sure what the fine print said, wouldn't you?
And then you wouldn't have risked misleading anybody
with inaccurate information.

There *was* a furor some months ago at the original
wording of the TOS, but according to MySpace's
spokesperson, it was a misunderstanding, and the TOS
has been revised to clarify.

In any case, there was *never* any question of My Space
claiming *exclusive* rights to the material; you appear
to have made that up.  The original TOS said explicitly
that MySpace was claiming *nonexclusive* rights.

Here's a bit from the New York Daily News from June 6,
with a quote from the original TOS:

-----

...Popular English songwriter Billy Bragg claims the
MySpace.com "terms of service" give Murdoch's minions
the right to exploit their content as they see fit.

Bragg has deleted his tunes from his MySpace.com page,
which offers this explanation: "SORRY THERE'S NO MUSIC,"
because "once an artist posts up any content (including
songs), it then belongs to My Space (AKA Rupert Murdoch)
and they can do what they want with it, throughout the
world without paying the artist."

The troublesome fine print informs users that by posting
any content, "you hereby grant to MySpace.com a NON-EXCLUSIVE,
fully-paid and royalty-free, worldwide license (with the
right to sublicense through unlimited levels of sublicensees)
to use, copy, modify, adapt, translate, publicly perform,
publicly display, store, reproduce, transmit, and distribute
such Content on and through the Services." [emphasis added]

Sounds dire. But Myspace.com spokesman Jeff Berman says
not to worry. "Because the legalese has caused some
confusion, we are at work revising it to make it very
clear that MySpace is not seeking a license to do anything
with an artist's work other than allow it to be shared
in the manner the artist intends," Berman says. "Obviously,
we don't own their music or do anything with it that they
don't want."

http://tinyurl.com/jtg5w

-----

In a previous post, I quoted the current TOS, which
explains *why* MySpace claims the rights it does.
Looks pretty benign to me, and appears to validate
just what Berman told the Daily News.