The tape account is different.  It was in the first announcement for
his first lectures so he didn't have any students.  They reported a
lecture given by a great Maharishi from the Himalayas.  As MMY tells
it, the lectures were set up by a pushy guy at the temple, it was not
his idea.  Part of his "innocent ting" personal mythology.  He wasn't
an ambitious guy huckstering a product, he was just responding to the
call of nature.   "Hermit in the House" paints a completely different
picture of his ambitious nature, made all the more powerful because it
is written by a devotee.