> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Mason" <premanandpaul@>
> wrote:
> >
> > Frank Lotz wrote everything on that posting.
> > . . .
> > His reply seemed to contain some sort of implicit threat,
> > therefore I thought it best to make his rant more public.
>
> A wise precaution. I've been doing research for
> a story idea about religious fanatics who are
> willing to commit serious crimes (including
> murder) to "protect" their fanatical ideas of
> what is "true" and what is not. The more you
> read about the real things that these kinds
> of real people do in the name of God and
> religion, the scarier it gets and the more
> precautions you feel like taking in your life
> if you are perceived by one or more of them
> as a "heretic."
>
> Suffice it to say that this kind of fanaticism
> didn't end with the Inquisition or the Protestant/
> Catholic conflicts. Every year around the world
> there are dozens -- if not hundreds or thousands --
> of murders performed in the name of God. It really
> lends credence to the idea that religion is a
> disease, and that what the world needs is not
> more religion, but an antidote to it.

I don't disagree that religion is often used as a pretext or excuse
for killing and that, indeed, millions have died and suffered
through the ages because of it.

However, to keep things in perspective: more people died and
suffered in the name of atheism (the state religion of communism)
than ever died in the name of religion.