--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Marek Reavis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> You're probably right about Barks, but that "translation" of the
> Arabic was the first time that the phrase made any sense to me.
> Obviously, it resonates with my experience and understanding.
> Same with Bly's "translations" of Kabir; I've been told that
> they are very creative translations but they remain my favorite
> versions.
>
> Thanks for the heads-up.

No problem. As it turns out, you are absolutely correct
about Robert Bly and his "creative" translations. I've
been told with regard to both him and Coleman Barks
that they don't actually know the languages they are
"translating" from, and most often work from several
different English-language translations of the originals,
trying to render them more poetical.