--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, t3rinity <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

<snip>
> > As I've been saying for some time--and LB Shriver
> > also commented recently--some of the True NON-Believers
> > here, Barry in particular, are utterly blind to the
> > fact that their thought processes are indistinguishable
> > from the those of the very truest of True Believers.
>
> I think you have a point here Judy: As the WP atricle on
> Eric Hoffer says: 'As he describes in The True Believer,
> a passionate obsession with the outside world or with the
> private lives of other people is merely a craven attempt
> to compensate for a lack of meaning in one's own life.'
> Substitute 'private lives of other people' with Judy Stein
> and when and how often she posts.

Heh.  You don't even have to substitute.  I can't
count the number of times Barry has described his
fantasies about my private life and even my physical
characteristics.

> Furthermore: 'A core principle in the book is Hoffer's insight
> that mass movements are interchangeable; he notes fanatical
> Nazis later becoming fanatical Communists, fanatical Communists
> later becoming fanatical anti-Communists, and Saul, persecutor
> of Christians, becoming Paul, a fanatical Christian himself.
> For the true believer the substance of the mass movement
> isn't so important as that he or she is part of that movement.'

Yup, which is why Barry is so defensive about FFL
being, in his mind, reserved for *criticism* of MMY,
the TMO, and TMers.  It's the pro-TMers here who are
the "outsiders," the "invaders," as far as Barry is
concerned.

> So a True TM Believer can just as easily become a True Anti-TM
> Believer. Saul could become Paul, and Paul can become Saul.
>
> And its not the obsession with a particular person, like
> Judy Stein that is important, but the meaning he the TB
> or TB-Anti derives from being obsessed. And the trademark
> of this obsession is his need to demonize his opponent. So
> for the TB-Anti the 'TB' is OTOH a victim and pitiable,
> but when he doesn't listen to him, he is demonized as
> scary, dangerous, paranoid fanatic. People, individuals who
> discuss here, are disowned of their individaul expressions
> and believes and portrayed as representatives of a larger
> anonymus monster.

*Very* well said.