> In a message dated 9/13/06 1:17:15 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>

> > In a message dated 9/13/06 11:21:11 A.M. Central Daylight  Time,
> > sparaig@ writes:
> >
> > School sponsored event.  You gotta sit thruogh it if you want to
> > get your diploma. End of  story.
> >
> > Doesn't matter, free speech issue. The person was  invited to
> > speak. There is no law prohibiting the exercise of  religion,
> > anywhere.
>
> Hmm, seems to me I recall prayer in public  schools
> being banned quite some time ago.
>
> > That would violate
> > the first amendment to the Constitution. Case closed. The
> >  first amendment does not say there are restrictions on
> > where free  speech or religion may be practiced, it
> > guarantees both.
>
> *And*  it says Congress may make no law respecting
> establishment of a religion,  which means there is
> sometimes a *conflict* between that and free  speech.
>
> Free speech, of course, is by no means absolute; there
> are  many exceptions where the right to free speech
> conflicts with other  constitutional  freedoms.
>
> Yet, as I pointed out Congress  and many other government
> programs open with an invocation. Yet schools can't? Could
> the courts be wrong?

I do believe I already pointed out why these
government invocations haven't been challenged
legally and the school cases have.

 Would it  be the
> first time?  I have yet to see the government make any laws
> respecting the establishment of a religion

I believe I also explained how "make any law" applies
in these cases.  Hint: it isn't the way you're
interpreting it.

 but the courts have seen fit to deny  the Free
> Exercise Thereof. Sounds like the courts that do so are
overstepping  their
> boundaries. Since there is no law, what law are they interpreting
that  says you can
> do it here,but not here.

In the case of school prayer, the law is the one
that funds the public schools.

> Or congressional members can be led in prayer but
> students can't.

Because the context is different.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional