> On Sep 17, 2006, at 7:33 AM, TurquoiseB wrote:
>
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Sal Sunshine <salsunshine@>
> > wrote:

> >> OF course not.  What do you think?  A few lunatics on the
> >> right do, and unfortunately they've cheated and bullied
> >> their way into power.  It won't last, it never does.
> >
> > To present the deva's advocate position, one could
> > safely say that because in theory America is a democracy,
> > and because in a democracy those who get to run the country
> > and set its policies can do so only because the majority
> > of the population *allows* them to do so (via elections),
> > America's policies towards the Third World *do*, in fact,
> > represent the thinking of the American people.
>
> Unfortunately, Barry, I agree with you--whether it's because of
> outright participation (fairly rare) or just plain apathy (much
> more common, IMO) we here in the US have allowed our "leaders"
> to get away with unbelievable horrors in the 3rd world.  And
> it's not really even that the information is or isn't out there
> (although much of it is) it's that people don't even ask
> questions--and haven't for decades.

Not only do they not ask questions, they settle for
the Easiest Possible Answer when others do.

> I can't explain it--maybe everyone is so overmedicated they
> can't  think straight.

I actually believe that's a major factor. America is
currently one of the most self-medicated cultures on
the planet.

> > Americans as a whole don't care whether the people in the
> > Third World live or die.
>
> Many don't even care whether people *here* live or die--look
> at the debacle of Katrina.

True.

> And when GB's poll #s finally started to go down, was it
> over horror at what those people endured?  No, it was for
> purely selfish reasons--gas prices.

It's a real *issue* with America. Self Interest has
been elevated to such Godlike status that it's scary.

> >  That's why they elect leaders
> > who don't care whether these people live or die and who
> > design and implement their global strategies accordingly.
> > The emotional reactions (and overreactions) we're seeing
> > in the Arab world are because they're realizing this, too.
>
> I think they've realized it a lot longer than most Americans,
> unfortunately.  The Islamic world, for all it's poverty,
> does not seem to lack for people who perceive things fairly
> clearly and who are willing to fight.  I might not agree with
> their methods, but at least it's not apathy.

Gotta agree. I currently live in France, which has MORE
than its share of problems. They're *also* a remarkably
Self Important culture. But one of the things they are
NOT is apathetic. If a president of France had tried to
fuck with the French people basic rights one tenth as
greviously as Bush has fucked with Americans' basic rights,
the entire population of France would have been out on the
streets in protest. The country would have shut down and
would not have moved again until the government rescinded
its actions.

The French may *be* the drama queens of the planet, but
in times like these, drama queens can be counted on to
man the barricades, whereas your everyday American can't
even be counted upon to make it to a polling place on
election day.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: